Saturday, February 2, 2008

Corsets and lifelines


I started a new project, Annie Modesitt's Lacy Corset Tank. It's supposed to look like this:

The yarn, courtesy of the Stash, is Louet Gems worsted, which is left over from this Cropped Cardigan with Leaf Ties by Stefanie Japel.

In fact, I used less than half of the yarn I bought initially, so I have 280grams to work with. I'm still nervous I'm going to run out. Thankfully this is knit top down, so worst comes to worst (or worsted comes to worsted, har!), I'll have a cropped corset tank. This yarn is wonderful--very soft, non-itchy, superwash wool, in a great shade of yellow. The corset is supposed to be in silk, but this is the best alternative in my stash, so wool it is!

I'm modifying the pattern to knit in the round, rather than have millions of buttons to sew at the end. Also, I wouldn't trust buttons not to gape or slip out of the buttonholes made of yarn-overs--very bad things in a corset situation.

Looking over all the finished ones in ravelry, they seem to turn out either really great or really grody, mainly depending on whether the darts end up in the right place. Fortunately this is knit top down, so I can try it on as I go along. I'm placing lifelines intermittently, so that if it starts to go bad, I can quasi-painlessly frog back to the last place it fit. I never learned how to put in a lifeline properly, so I just left the scrap yarn that I threaded through when I tried it on. This is the pink line in the top picture. It's very psychologically reassuring to have it there, like Dumbo's feather, and I think I will do lifelines for all big projects from now on. Bonus--I'm using up bits of the sock yarn that I had to set aside, to get different colored toes on the sherbet toe socks. So far the lace for the off-the-shoulder part is done, which is a bit lumpy-bumpy, but hopefully will block nice and flat.

3 comments:

Team Knit ! said...

Your leaf tie cardigan is so lovely- what a bonus to have that much yarn left over! Can't wait to see your corset top.

- Julie

Siel said...

That cropped cardigan is gorgeous! Can I request one for my b-day, but not in yellow?

tina said...

Can't wait to see it! I am sure it will be absolutely breathtaking!!!!