Sunday, February 10, 2008

Kanga-woes


Kangaroo is growing up, so very slowly. I've had to knit and frog a couple times, trying to figure out how to attach the tail and arms and legs and pouch. I've decided the arms/legs will need to be added separately, but the tail is being grafted on to the body, as a kangaroo is not a kangaroo without a big tail. It's kind of depressing me how long this kangaroo is taking, and she's not even that cute right now.


An even more depressing realization was that I have not two, but THREE huge balls of this Red heart yarn. There was a whole ball and a half hidden in this cable-knitted thing, rather than just half a ball. This means I actually have 625 grams of brown acrylic to dispatch somehow, and my total initial yarn grams is 4248g, not 4073g. I guess I'll make a whole bunch of kangaroos. Or actually, a mob of kangaroos...the technical term for a group of kangaroos is a mob--just like humans!

Did you know that kangaroo is the same word in French? I learned this while watching The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. It's based on a book of the same title, by Jean-Dominique Bauby . He had a stroke that caused him to be "locked in," and could not move anything except one eyelid, while his thinking and imagination and memory were all perfectly fine. He wrote an entire book using a communication system devised with eye blinks/winks. I read--and loved--the book a few years ago, so it was exciting that the film was equally good (very rare for movies based on books). I think I liked it extra because it features a neurological problem, but the non-neurologists who saw it with me also liked it. It's in French, with English subtitles, and I understood like 5% of the words. (4 years of french have simply evaporated). Anyway, in one scene, his three kids sing a song about a kangaroo, and I thought, hey, I know that word!

No comments: