Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Baudelaire socks

I'm doing the March sock stash challenge for the Stash Knit Down group on Ravelry. Since I have only two whole matching balls of sock yarn left, and I wanted to make knee socks, I searched around for toe-up patterns (in case I ran out of yarn before the end) in lace (to make the yarn last). Baudelaire, by Cookie A, fit the bill. Here they are, on the magic loop, just about the turn the heel:

The yarn is Knitpicks Essential Tweed, in plum. The yarn is nice, soft, non-itchy wool with a bit of nylon for stretch, but the little tweedy bits are a bit clownish. Yellow, green, blue, and red tweedy bits on a purple background are a bit much. Thankfully the little clumps keep falling out, and if they bother me, I can just pick them all out eventually.

As the know-it-alls said, it sleeted and snowed terribly yesterday and today. Yesterday, I didn't wear a winter coat (or monkey gloves, so stupid!) to work, because it was so balmy in the morning, and wore 3.5" heels, being foolishly optimistic. When I got out of work, I found the car, and the ground around it, frozen solid within a carapace of nubbly ice. I had the joy of tediously scraping ice off the car, wearing only a white coat for protection against the elements, slipping precariously on ice with each pathetic scrape. Oh March, you cruel mistress!

2 comments:

tina said...

I warned you about being such a show off over those socks woman!!!

Laughing here...................

I shall be waiting to hear about the heel turning thing, that is giving me quite a brow wrinkle as I approach it!

Team Knit ! said...

Those look great so far! that purple tweed is so cute.

- Julie