Wednesday, April 16, 2008

FO: cupcake pincushion

I'm loving these little projects! So quick and satisfying. And this one is actually useful--it'll hold all my pins for sewing and blocking. The pins are supposed to look like sprinkles/jimmies.

The "cake" part is made of Red Heart acrylic yarn, and the "icing" is made with the rest of the cream chenille and some worsted white wool held together. The pattern is from One Skein: 30 Quick Projects to Knit or Crochet, by Leigh Radford. I wish the icing were a bit more poofy and creamy looking, otherwise I pretty much stuck to the pattern and was pleased overall.

I generally like the idea of all these books that focus on using 1-2 skeins, but when it comes down to it, I have a hard time actually doing any of projects, mainly because I usually don't have even a full skein. Maybe at the end of stash-busting, I'll write a book with patterns for remnants and dregs. This book was pretty good, with the usual scarf variations, sock variations, and baby items, but also this cupcake and some felted bowls. The bowls are super cute, and I'm compelled to make them, although I've never, ever, successfully felted anything.

I finished up the rest of the cream chenille (5g), in addition to using some of the white wool (8g) and brown acrylic (14g) yarns. Total 27 grams busted!

1 comment:

Team Knit ! said...

Oh wow, I love it!! That is such a cute idea, I think I'm going to have to make one of those, too!

- Julie