Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Balls extravaganza

Sorry, not balls of yarn today.

Today I picked up my first share of Fairshares, a sort of CSA (they have other stuff besides just veggies). Apparently the produce is lagging because of the weather, so they're rounding out with other stuff. Here are the goodies:

Buttercrunch lettuce (Brick City gardens),
tortillas (San Luis),
black beans (Bellew's creek),
cheddar cheese (Ropp Jersey)










grassfed ground beef
meat sauce (Maria & son)
















Dozen eggs, laid on May 6

Various fresh herbs










And I took a gorgeous pic of a loaf of bread from Companion Bakery (right here in the central west end!), coffee from Northwest Coffee (also CWE!), and apple butter from Centennial farms, but I accidentally deleted it, and now I've already devoured much of it and another pic would look like an absolute massacre.

The meat is a bit of an issue because I don't eat meat, and my husband generally avoids red meat. But today, I was the best wife ever and made meatballs. I used a recipe from Bon Appetit (available here through epicurious), Meatballs with Parsley and Parmesan.

I did half of the recipe with the beef, and half of the recipe with TVP (textured vegetable protein). I made some chunky tomato sauce to go with the balls too. The separate sauces and balls alone made for four pans to wash, ugh. So out went the plans for fresh pasta, but there was some cavatelli from Alessi, which worked pretty well. Both types of balls are excellent, although I can only attest to the TVP balls. Here they are (TVP balls first, then beef)!

2 comments:

Team Knit ! said...

Oooh, that looks absolutely delicious! And props to you for supporting CSA/fair trade.

P.S- Bath was awesome!! Jane Austen freaks like us just can't get enough, can we?! ; )

- Julie

tina said...

I have to tell you that I was so glad to see that you were talking about MEAT BALLS------- as you know, balls really aren't my thing and I was actually clicking on your blog with some fear and trepidation knowing what a wild woman you are and all......

Balls indeed.

You know btw, you are really making me a lot more veggiematarian these days :). What a good influence!