Thursday, May 8, 2008

A new leaf

Not much knitting yet this month unfortunately. I did finish felting, successfully, the knitted needle holder, but no pics yet as it is still drying. The past couple days have been spent working on the tiny patch of dirt/concrete behind my condo, which I will refer to as the "yard." When we moved it, it was basically an industrial waste dump. Slowly, it's gotten cleaned up, but all attempts to grow anything have been quelched by the big crabapple tree that shades over everything, and (probably more importantly) I forget to water. No matter, for hope springs eternal, and I'm turning over a new leaf!

I dug up all the dirt, mixed it with compost, planted dozens of things in the ground and in pots, and mulched. Gardening is back-f*ing-breaking work! Even more annoying because it has been raining nonstop for 2 days, so the soil is like modeling clay. Dunno how that's gonna affect the plants, but I had to get them in the ground before leaving town again. I'm most excited about the peony bush, and (like every time I do this) planting herbs. Here are the cilantro, parsley, basil, and lemon basil. I can already taste the pesto:














Silvana introduced me to another plant store, whose name I completely forgot, on Cherokee street. The owner is super nice and the plants seem very happy, and are inexpensive to boot. I saw hanging baskets of fuchsia and had to have one. They are absolutely gorgeous, like little velvet presents!

They are even prettier if you crane your neck all the way back and look from below:

Another hiatus for a quick mother's day trip to cooperstown. Hopefully some knitting will get done on the plane!

2 comments:

Team Knit ! said...

Nothing beats the taste of fresh herbs. And your fushia is lovely!

- Julie

Rachel said...

Good luck with your gardening attempts this year! I too love herbs, but usually I get side-tracked by the tons of veggies my husband grows.

Lovely fuschia pictures, too! They're so pretty!