Saturday, May 17, 2008

Peach-jalapeno tofu

I'm feeling excessively proud of how this week's Fairshares stuff is getting used up. We got trout, peach-jalapeno preserves, mushrooms, herbs, coffee, rice, almonds, and bread. The mushrooms were gone in one little pasta dish, which didn't leave much. I'd saved this recipe for marmalde tofu by Vegan Yum Yum for a while, and finally made it tonight. It's a totally vegan recipe (duh) made with tofu, but since I had the trout, I made two batches, one with trout and one with tofu.

I'd never filleted a fish before, so it was a messy massacre. After wrestling with the slippery skin, cutting off all the fins, dissecting out the flesh, etc, it's really wonderful to be a vegetarian!

I stuck to the recipe for the tofu marinade part, except I didn't put any red pepper flakes since the preserves already had jalapenos. There are no lemons in the house, so instead I made the Israeli couscous my fave way with curry, then added in fresh lemon basil and mint (from the garden!) at the end. There's no kale either, so it's spinach instead. (I'm even worse about sticking to recipes, than following knitting patterns.) Still, it turned out pretty well, and the sauce from the preserves was amazing. I couldn't be bothered to do the grill marks on the tofu, but the yellowness of the couscous makes up in visual appeal. Recently the Israeli couscous at Whole Foods has changed shapes, from tiny garbanzo shapes, to these fat disks. Hopefully it's temporary.

As for knitting, I'm working on a little cat bed for Cammy so that she doesn't have to sleep like this anymore. The pattern is Kitty Pi, from Wendyknits. I'm using up the green and white wool that has plagued the stash for several years. It has a weird smell and feels sticky, washing repeatedly in hot soapy water (ie felting) has to be the right thing to do!

3 comments:

emicat said...

The tofu dish looks delish! I've yet to try to clean a fish - I end up leaving that for my dad or boyfriend to do (or I buy it already cleaned) - kudos for you for giving it a shot and I think you did a great job.

thanks for visiting my blog - I like what I see on yours and will stop by again - nice to meet you :)

Team Knit ! said...

that tofu and fish look delicious! the sweet and spicy sounds like a great combo.

- Julie

tina said...

curry couscous---------- I am now officially on the hunt!

Kitty Pi done yet?