Saturday, June 28, 2008

Delicious decay

Sorry, still no knitting FO's, but I did get some baking done today. We finally got a good amount of produce in our Fairshares share this week: raspberries, cherries, cucumbers (woohoo!), zucchini, summer squash, lettuce, and an herb I can't recognize. Plus there was hummus, cheese spread, 10-grain flour, trout, eggs, bagels, and something else I'm forgetting. I ate too much of it before I remembered to take a picture, oops.

Anyway, the cherries sat in the fridge for a couple days because I couldn't figure out what to do with them. I don't like artificial cherry flavor, so when I tasted fresh cherries I just couldn't like them. Cherry pie is always good, but there weren't enough (you'd need 4-5 cups) for that. So they sat around and got a bit soggy and gross:

Meanwhile, I'd put some frozen mango in the fridge a week ago to thaw, to make banana-mango smoothies for breakfast. This past week I realized that I am not and never will be a breakfast-eater, and no smoothies were made. So I had a bunch of black bananas and (no-longer) frozen mangoes too. So I decided to do something good out of all this decaying fruit, and made banana muffins and a cranberry-mango crisp.

The banana muffin recipe is from How to Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson. I have the biggest girl-crush/food-crush on her, and I love the rambling intros to all of the recipes.


The recipe made only 8 muffins, and some are a bit short as you can see, and in real life there are only 3 left :( . They are totally addictive and soooo good. Oh, I also added butterscotch chips, which make almost anything taste better. Next time I'd double the recipe and make a meal of it.

The Cherry-mango crisp recipe is adapted from the Apricot-cherry crisp recipe from Fields of Greens by Annie Somerville, which I fortuitously found in the used book section of Left Bank Books. It's the only indie bookstore left in St Louis, so I always feel virtuous about my finds from there.

She's the chef at Greens Restaurant in San Francisco, where I've never been but would like to go based on the cookbook alone. It's all vegetarian, and all the recipes I've tried (10 or so, a lot for any cookbook) have been wonderful. The crumb topping is supposed to have walnuts in it, but I had a few hazelnuts left over from a prior recipe that weren't enough for anything else, and so I used them instead. Yummy! (Hazelnuts are the most delicious nut, followed by pistachio, then it's a tie between almonds and cashews and pine nuts. In case anyone is interested imho.)
Anyway, it was super-easy and turned out beautifully. I'm trying to save it for a barbecue tomorrow, but somehow I don't think it'll make it there...

3 comments:

tina said...

It all looks delish------ aren't you just DOMESTIC???? YES!

I adore cherries, have eaten my way through a couple pounds this season, some meal only!

And Nigella? PUH-LEEZE. Hotter than Hot. I have How to Be a Domestic Goddess in my kitchen as part of the decor :) Love me some Nigella.

Rachel said...

I definitely agree with you on the nuts category! Love me some hazelnuts!

Yummy looking muffins, too!

Team Knit ! said...

All that baking looks incrdible! I love your solutions to thee fruit that needed ot be used up. And i have that cookbook too- I love Nigella!

- Julie