Thursday, June 19, 2008

FO: Red Mittens


I'd never knitted mittens lying out by the pool before. These aren't too seasonal, but mittens were the perfect project for this yarn. The yarn is Rowan RYC Cashsoft Aran in Poppy, which is a lovely mixture of cashmere, wool, and microfiber. I had 45 grams leftover from making the Sock Monkey Head Gloves, and thought I'd be able to eke out a pair of regular mittens.

I really like the Staghorn Mittens from Ulla (available in English as a free Ravelry download too, in case you don't read Finnish) by Taija Elo, but I was nervous about making mittens from wrist-down, in case the yarn ran out. So I redesigned them to be finger-up (sounds a lot grosser than toe-up, but you get the idea), and used the same cable pattern.

These were done two at a time, on one pair of magic loop-ed circs, with each glove being knitted from different ends of the ball of yarn.

So when I ran out of yarn--thankfully after a good amount of cuff had been done--the gloves were the same size. And both gloves were finished!
Now just have to wait 6 months before I can wear them out and not look crazy...

2 comments:

soknitpicky said...

Those look great! Very smart to do them together, and I am amazed at how much stash you've smashed!

Rachel said...

Very nice mittens, and what a clever idea to do them "finger-up", hee hee!