Monday, June 30, 2008

June stash update

Not only is today the end of the month, it is also the end of one academic year and the beginning of the next for me. (No summer vacations in medicine, unfortunately). I had sincerely hoped to be done with the stash by today, and had planned for it, but sadly, I was unable to use up the stash this month. Mainly because I'm lazy, and also because I got distracted by 1) work, 2) golf, 3) cooking, and 4) perfect shaping for the kangaroo.

Here is a sneak peek! I already love her. She doesn't have hind legs so far, so she can't run away. I spent days making the perfect forelimbs, and a few more hours trying to come up with the perfect hindlimbs. I'm trying to get the right balance of anatomically correct and cute, and that's really hard if you don't want any seams in knitting a muscular kangaroo hindleg. She should be done in a day or two.

FO's this month include a carrot cat toy, a sweater/hat/flower baby set, goldfish cat toy, penguin, and mittens.










































I finished six yarns this month, including the red and cream Cashsoft, black DK wool, yellow Louet, brown/orange Louet, and pink Swish Superwash. And I have a confession...I gave away a whole skein of Red Heart, all 225 grams of it, to Silvana, to pass on to her mother. I am a bad, bad stashbuster. I have too much, and just really don't like knitting with it. But there's a gigundo amount of it left, as I didn't have the cajones to give away any sub-skeins, plus I didn't want to run out in the middle of kangaroo legs. Le coeur rouge est mort, vive le coeur rouge!




So this leaves about 150 to 200 grams in the stash. (The rest of the yarn is all in WIPs and can't be weighed properly, so it's all approximate.) Here's the monthly graph, with the blue showing the goal of finishing by th end of 2008, and the red showing the actual amount remianing. It's a bummer not to be done yet, but since I consider July 4 weekend to be the real end of June, that is the new goal for the stash-ending date.

3 comments:

orata said...

Seems like you're making great stashbusting progress. That kangaroo is adorable!

Team Knit ! said...

I have to tell you how much I adore that stash graph- I'm thinking of totally copying the idea, since I find that having the hazy goal of stash decreasing isn't helpful enough- but to make the graph go down- well, that's a really tangible goal! Did you find that the graph helped a lot?

and that kangaroo is so, so cute! I can't wait to see him in all his finished glory.

- Julie

soknitpicky said...

Love the kangaroo--can't wait to see it! And even though you wanted to finish by the end of June, your graph gives you until the end of the year, so I'd say you were way way ahead. So according to the intent-to-knit analysis (heh, heh), it's a success!