Sunday, June 8, 2008

Meme time

Here's a meme going around, and I decided to consider myself tagged by Julie from Teamknits.

1.) What was I doing ten years ago?
I had just finished my first year of college, and stayed in Cambridge, MA to take organic chemistry through the summer school, to leave space for more interesting classes during the regular school year. I had just started working in a research lab, and in the evenings worked at night as a receptionist in the same building where I lived for the summer (see below). That was my shortest commute ever.

2) What are five (non-work) things on my to-do list for today:
- knitting group
- dead head the flowers in the yard, as they are a bit sorry-looking
- order Tom’s of Maine dental floss in bulk online. This floss is the best, ever! Flossing with it is like exfoliating your teeth, and they are so clean and lovely afterwards. I used to hate flossing until I got this, and now that I have invisalign (and have to floss every time I eat/drink), I need a lot of it.
- clean the kitchen
- put a bedskirt on the basement bed. We sleep in the basement in the summertime because it’s so bloody hot upstairs.

3) Snacks I enjoy:
- anything salty, especially with a little sweet. Like caramel popcorn, toffee, and butterscotch. Potato chips are always wonderful too. My favorite food is cucumbers with ketchup, but I have this snack rarely, usually when I’m feeling blue, to cheer myself up

4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
- Invest/save most of it.
- Pay off (suffocating) student loans
- still be a neurologist, but work fewer hours
- buy a big house/farm in the coutryside to house abandoned animals, and set up a fund to hire someone to live there and take care of them (I don’t want to live in the country all the time)
- get self/family/friends houses and have everyone settled, debt-free, and near me if possible
- travel
- Set up a foundation that awards scholarships to smart students, and grants to neuroscientists.

5) Places I have lived:
- Seoul and Inchon; Korea
- Nairobi, Eldoret, and Kijabe; Kenya
- Los Angeles, CA
- Cambridge and Boston, MA
- New York, NY
- St Louis, MO

6) Jobs I have had:
- tutor
- after-school program teacher for 1st and 2nd graders
- research assistant (lab stuff)
- receptionist at a building which housed both a graduate dorm and offices for various university programs
- database administrator for the research division of a large pharmaceutical company
- MCAT teacher for for a test-prep company
- Physician

I'm going to tag some peeps from my knitting group: Tina, RMS, Deborah, Jackie.

2 comments:

Team Knit ! said...

Hooray! I'm glad you did the meme. I'm so jealous of all the amazing places you've lived!

- Julie

Rachel said...

You have lived in some really interesting places! What a nice MeMe

BTW, do you really like cucumbers and ketchup? Doesn't sound very appetizing to me, lol!