Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Two years

Today's my and my husband's second anniversary! Hooray! This seems like a really long time, and then I realize, I've had much of my stash for a lot longer than that. Stash-years are like the opposite of dog-years--seven years in the stash should count as just one year. Not like I'd ever keep anything in the stash for 7 years. Oh no, never, nuh-uh. :)

But really, truly, the stash is almost gone, and today I treated myself to planning the first post-stash project. This will be a wedding shawl for my dearest friend Elisabeth (with an S), who actually probably won't wear it at her wedding, as it will be in August in Texas. I exchanged the Sublime kidsilk I'd bought before, after Jenna pointed out that it looked like cat hairballs, for some Rowan Kidsilk Aura. I wish there had been some Kidsilk Night (which has a little bit of metallic thread) in a similar color, but no such luck. The color didn't come out very well in the picture, but it's a reddish-brown.

I'm torn whether I should add in some beads or carry along a metallic thread to jazz it up a bit, because the color is pretty close to her hair color. The silk part of the yarn does have a nice sheen to it though, so it might be fine. What should I do?

Also, I'm having trouble finding a rectangular shawl pattern with a nice, open, lace pattern, where the edge is not knitted on at the end (which I absolutely hate doing). I have a nice leaf pattern picked out for the center, but the edges are giving me trouble. I'm looking for a lace pattern than will produce a scalloped pattern on the sides, as well as either the top or bottom edge. Anyone have any good ideas?

8 comments:

soknitpicky said...

No shawl advice, but I just wanted to say Happy Anniversary! If your friend's wedding happens to be in the Houston area, let me know :-)

Team Knit ! said...

The shawl is a tough call- maybe you can make something up incorporating elements of other shawls that you like?

Happy Annivesary!

- Julie

That's a 7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

Happy anniversary!

I'd opt for a metalic or sequined carry along, but it's pretty as is too.

orata said...

There's a scarf pattern called Kombu that has a reversible scalloped edging that's knit-as-you-go--you might be out of luck for the ends, I don't remember, but those are shorter, at least. There's a pattern for a Russian lace scarf with the same kind of all-in-one edging in the latest Piecework magazine, too. Good luck picking out a pattern!

orata said...

P. S. Happy anniversary!

yoel said...

Thank you everyone!

tina said...

as usual, a day late and a dollar short.

Happy Anniversary ANYWAY!!!!

Rachel said...

Happy Anniversary!

As for your shawl, I'd recommend anything by Anne of Knitspot.com (particularly her latest shawl, the Midnight Stars or whatever) as there's not picking up at the end - the edge is knit along with everything else.

Otherwise, have you tried something from Victorian Lace Today? That's a great lace book, too.