Wednesday, July 2, 2008

FO at long last: Kangaroo Jill


Yes, oh yes, she is finished! I have numerous half-frogged kangaroo-parts that weren't quite right, but here she is, finally, looking so cute and kanga-wooderful that I can't help but love her. I was so proud, I took a picture from every angle:
She is made from almost a full skein of brown Red Heart worsted weight yarn. The pattern will be coming soon, once I ready the courage to write it up. Look at all that fabulous short row shaping, and just even regular shaping! The only seams are to sew part of the bottom and the pouch to the main body, and to attach the legs and ears. And believe me, you don't know how weirdly curvaceous and shapely a kangaroo is, until you knit one without seams.

If you're wondering why I ever made a kangaroo in the first place, it's for sentimental reasons, namely that one of the few truly meaningful gifts I ever got was a stuffed kangaroo (see full store here).

Her Joey is on the way. (S)he'll be basically the same except made out of sock weight yarn, so (s)he's a lot smaller. I was doing pretty well, until this shite incident:Oops. Time to get some metal size 0 dpn's...

10 comments:

RiverCitySTL said...

Adorable!

VeganCraftastic said...

Very cute, great job!

soknitpicky said...

She is really gorgeous! BTW, I followed the link back to your kangaroo story, and I really loved it :-)

orata said...

She is adorable!

tina said...

Wow she is not only cute but the detail and shaping and all that good stuff! YAY! Love her and can't wait to see her in person!

That's a 7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

How cute! You should be really proud.

Team Knit ! said...

She turned out SO well- that's the cutest kanga ever!!! Congrats!

- Julie

yoel said...

Thanks everyone! The pattern will be up soon!

mooncalf said...

You wrote the pattern! I'm so impressed. This is the best kangaroo ever. Pattern please!!!

Lisa said...

I need this pattern! Your Kangas are so cute. My DD onely loves her 'Roo and I can't find a goo pattern. Please let me know when its ready.