Tuesday, July 15, 2008

FO: End-of-the-stash Scrappy Mouse

At long last, it's all finished!!! (Cue majestic music and joyous dancing). The last project is--you guessed it--a cat toy. All the little scraps of yarns needed to get used up, so I just tied them all together and made a seamless mouse. The baby/fingering weight yarn was used doubled, and the rest of the yarns were all worsted or aran, so it worked out fine with size 6 needles. Here it is, in progress.
For a few months I'd saved the little snippets of yarn from cutting ends, and laced it with a hefty dose of catnip to use for stuffing. There wasn't enough stuffing, so I unraveled all my old swatches, cut them up, and used that too. Let me tell you, that was a fun frogging session!
I started and ended with the only "real" yarn that was left, the Peach Knitpicks Palette. I used it all up on the I-cord tail, realized I needed to save some for the provisional cast on for the next project, and ripped out a couple yards. And then I pulled the yarn through, and...Voila!

The mouse is pretty big, almost rat-sized. I forgot to weigh everything beforehand, but no matter. I don't need to weigh any stinkin' yarn anymore! Cause this is what my stash looks like:(The bin is a shoe-box sized one, not a huge packing bin).

Holy mole, the stash is really gone! I feel free, and a little lost.

9 comments:

Karin said...

You are somethin' else! Wow. I swear, that will never happen to me. How DID you do it???

tina said...

You know my friend I read a ton of blogs and YOURS was the only one I read today. Work is a bear and there is no time to breathe much less blog wander.

BUT I KNEW YOU WERE PAU!!!!!!

such great news and such a wonderful accomplishment, I salute you and send big hugs!!!

Team Knit ! said...

I am stunned- I can't believe you got rid of all your stash (good thinking on saving a bit for a provisional cast on here and there). So inspiring!

- Julie

Mommabear7@sbcglobal.net said...

wow your awsome!

soknitpicky said...

I am seriously *beyond* impressed! And during residency to boot! Holy cow!

Jenni said...

Tina told me about your stash busting!! I am so impressed. I am insprired!

emicat said...

I'm so impressed with your stash busting, but girl, you gotta get some yarn in that sad, empty lookin bin ASAP!! :P

That's definitely a feat not everyone can accomplish. Great job!

mooncalf said...

Wow, just WOW! Congratulations!

yoel said...

Thanks everyone! You were all so encouraging along the way! Now watch me slide back into my hedonistic ways...