Sunday, August 24, 2008

Boise part deux

The the Boise trip was really very fun and a lovely break. It's a wee little city, so I was able to see the whole downtown, no sweat. And the weather, coming from humidity-cursed St Louis, was crisp and perfect.

One of the first things I did was wander around the little boutiques, and I found this great vegan wallet/purse. Cool, eh?









Then DH and I bought sturdy shoes so that we could bike. I am thinking of wearing these when I play golf too, for a pink extravaganza.

We watched Into the woods at the Boise Shakespeare Festival (weird, I know, that it's not Shakespearean at all). The theatre is outdoors, and set up really well with grassy bleachers and "box seats" with tables. They sell yummy food, and you can bring your own too. Here's the happy crowd.
I was blissfully unaware of this woman screaming at me "NO CAMERAS!" until I finished taking this picture. But what's prohibited is taking pictures of the actors, so this picture of the creepy trees and the angry woman is a-ok.
The next day I participated in a dress-up bike parade, the Tour de Fat. I did not dress up, but I felt the numerous people wearing chaps (on bikes, looks very ouchy) and other crazy costumes made up for it. All the traffic was stopped for the parade, so even without a helmet, I was able to stifle my fear and spazziness, and biked just fine.
What's really crazy is that in such a bike-friendly town, no one wears helmets! But that is a tirade for another day, and people are allowed to be stupid if they want.

Then I went to the best farmers market, ever! Look at all the great produce and flowers!
We ate tomatoes on the street, like apples, and walked along blissfully, tearing huge chunks off a huge loaf of freshly-baked spinach-mushroom-ricotta bread. And after that bike ride, we ate like crazy, so no pictures unfortunately.

Of course, a trip wouldn't be complete without knitting, so I visited a yarn store in Boise called Fuzz. It's on the second floor of a building that they share with what looks like a fabric store. If a combo like that was near my house, I definitely would not have been able to finish my stash!

They were having a class on two-at-a-time-magic-loop socks, so I already liked it as soon as I walked in! About half the store was spinning and weaving supplies, which looked impressive, but I have no authority to comment. There are a couple big fluffy sofas there, which I think is a great idea for a yarn shop. I wanted to find a unique and local yarn, but couldn't find anything just right, so I ended up buying some sock yarn for myself. Here are some shots of the yarn selection...
but I forgot to take pictures of the yarn I got (and it's the kind of colorway that needs real light to get right). So, the rest of the Boise trip, and pictures of the yarn, tomorrow!