Sunday, August 10, 2008

FO: Corinne dress

There's only one action shot of this dress, but it's so joyous it should do.
(That's the bride on the left, and we all wore hats.)

The pattern is Corinne dress, free from knittingfog, by Stephanie Earp. I used Rowan Cotton Glace, five 50-gram balls. Needles size was 9, as recommended in the pattern. This was a super-fast knit, as the lace pattern is easy to memorize, and I think it would have been even faster if I'd made the right size.

See, the pattern calls for knitting the dress 30% longer than the measured body length, I guess to account for the horizontal stretch using up fabric. But this seemed a bit fishy, so I just tried on as I went along, and made it just the right length. And instead of knitting or sewing straps, I decided to use adjustable straps that came with the slip, so that they could be just right. Well these straps came in very handy, because the dress grows and grows in length, and sags more and more and more. I kept on tightening the straps every half hour or so, to keep from exposing myself. In a few hours they were on the tightest setting, and the hem was 6 inches below where it had started, and the top was getting quite skimpy. The dress started out about 2 inches above the knee, and look where it is in the picture! In the end, I changed into a regular old dress.

Just compare this to how it looked before! It's kind of hard to get a sense of the proportions, but see how it's so long the straps got cut off in the picture!

Cotton is just too heavy, and not-block-able, so it stretches dreadfully in such a loose lace. I made some other mods, like adding three rows of seed stitch and a row of single crochet around all the top edges, to make it more sturdy (would definitely recommend this!). And the whole thing is a bit narrower than the pattern, because I did 2-stitch-wide columns between the pattern repeats, instead of three. If I were to knit this again, I wouldn't bother with the waist shaping, because it doesn't make a difference in such a stretchy fabric. Also, I would pause at about 70% of the desired length, hang it up in a pants hanger for a week to let it stretch out, and see how much more there was to go at that point. And even then, keep some taller friends around who might like a knitted dress!

The lace pattern (parachute lace) is lovely. It's a true lace, meaning there are yarn-overs and decreases every row, so it got a bit tricky when at the top the front and back were separated, and it switched from knitting in the round to back-and-forth knitting. The double decreases from the purl side were no fun at all, and you know how fussy I am about double decreases. I searched for a slip in a different color so that the lace pattern would show, but no luck. Even the salesclerk said nobody wears slips anymore...

6 comments:

Rachel said...

That dress looks so lovely on you! I hope you're someday able to find the right slip to wear under it. How about just a camisole and a regular skirt slip?

Mommabear7@sbcglobal.net said...

yes what is up with that? No one wearing slips I mean. Again if (big strech of the imagation) I had made it and needed to wear it I would have lined it but then I do sew! Huggs Marion (PS you look beautiful in it, wish i had your figure!) Your a beautiful woman by the way

mooncalf said...

I looks so glamorous! Could you run lines of stitching up the vertical stripes in the lace to help hold it up a bit?

donnac1968 said...

Wow that is lovely and it suits you so well. Good job you had something else to change into, don't want any dancefloor incidents do we?

granny said...

oh!!
its so pretty!!!

emicat said...

That dress looks great and fits you so well!

I'm surprised about the whole slip thing. I don't wear dresses/skirts all that often, but I always wear a slip when I do.