Blocking lace is like ordering a package for yourself. You know what's coming, but it's still such a delight once it arrives! Here's the shawl, in all its post-blocking glory.
It's really hard to photograph shawls. I finally hung it over the curtain rod.
I made up a pattern, using Trellis-Framed Leaf for the center, and Traveling Vine for all the edges. Both are from Barbara Walker's first Treasury. I especially liked that the Traveling Vine "waves" along all four edges, so I could knit the whole thing in one go, without provisional cast-on, picking up stitches, knitted-on edges, or other such nonsense. The transition from one pattern to another worked out, not due to any planning on my part:
Here are a couple outdoor shots for more accurate color. The yarn was 6 balls of Kidsilk Aura, with size 7 needles. You can really see how fuzzy it is in the sun.
I did all the double decreases with my super-wonderful method, and look how they lined up so gorgeously along the center of each "leaf." (I just realized I never posted part deux of that little tutorial, oops, so that'll come soon!)
The "wrong" side looks pretty good too.
All in all, I'm very pleased. Oh, and about packages one orders for onself...look what arrived today:
It's a ravelry shirt, via American Apparel, and I'm so loving the little poofy sleeves!