Friday, August 22, 2008

Ravelympics derailed

Just a quickie post from a mini-break in Boise.

First of all, I can officially say I won't be making the Ravelympics deadline with the Urbane sweater. Not only am I totally behind, I'm going to run out of yarn too. I am halfway done with the sleeves and torso, and I have probably about 1.5 skeins left. Also, my excuse is that I didn't get enough knitting time on the plane today. As the flight attendant was coming around to make sure everything was "upright and in a secure position," she saw my knitting -- in the seat back pocket in a closed ziplock bag! -- and says "Your knitting has to be under the seat during takeoff and landing." WTF?!? Like it might come flying out of the seat back pocket and hit me really hard in the face, like a soft pillow might? I'm constantly amused by people who make up weird rules, and sat, knitting-free, until we were "at cruising altitude."

Boise is super cute! The downtown area is really little but very walkable and lovely. We ate at City Diner, which is in an old bank building with lovely stone columns in front.

And it's such a thrill when someone else has made the bed. Woohoo! I wish I could live in a hotel all the time.

We have been given bikes to ride for the weekend, since Boise is such a biker's town. Here is about half of them, waiting for the guests to claim them.

I haven't ridden a bike in over 10 years, so suddenly riding in traffic, without a helmet, is absolutely terrifying. The plan is to walk the bike everywhere, like a civilized person...

4 comments:

stitchywitch said...

I know just what you mean! I had to ride a bike last week (first time in 10 years) and I thought I was going to die. It turns out that, indeed, you can forget how...

tina said...

It's all good baby!!!! Enjoy the getaway and know that your sweater will be there when you return home. I hope that more yarn will not be a problem?

As far as the stewardesses (I still can't bring myself to call them flight attendants)----- Probably had her thong too far up her ass to think clearly.

soknitpicky said...

Too bad about the sweater, but it looks like you're having a good trip. Your hotel looks nice--where are you staying? Have a safe trip back. Apparently, you at least won't be impaled by your knitting needles since you will now have your project stowed during take off and landing ;-P

granny said...

one day i'll move right into a hotel so someone can perfectly make my bed every single day.