Thursday, September 4, 2008

FO: Urbane sweater


At last! A sweater for an urbane man (see rant about men's sweaters)! It's a svelte and stylish V-neck sweater with ribbing and subtly textured cables.

The pattern was based on the top-down set-in sleeve instructions in Knitting from the Top by Barbara Walker. If there is enough interest, I'll write it up, so please comment! By the way, this uses size 3 needles, so you really, really have to love the recipient.

The cable pattern is also new, adapted from yet another Barbara Walker Treasury. There are three cables each on the front and back, and one down the outside of each arm. The circular shape is a nod to the olympics rings, since this is a Ravelympics project.

The coolest part is that the cables in the front and back meet on the shoulder seamlessly!

Five skeins of Louet Gems Sport in Indigo went into this sweater. In the end, all I had leftover was the swatch and less than 3 inches of yarn! Whew! This yarn is wonderful--it's 100% wool but doesn't itch at all, and it's so soft and smooth and easy to knit. I absolutely adore the colors of all the Louet Gems yarns, and it pains me that I do not have the wherewithal to take proper pictures of this yarn. Just know that is is a lovely, deep blue with a bit of sheen. The only pic that showed it somewhat ok was the picture of the inital skeins:

The very wet blocking was worth the two-day wait. I love how the ribs relaxed with blocking, so that the fabric drapes instead of clings.

10 comments:

Coffee Bean said...

Ooh i like this. But, i don't have a recipent for it! but it is very nice, and that yarn is yummy!

soknitpicky said...

A very handsome sweater--a true work of love :-) It is very cool how the cable meets up. I have done many things with top-down construction but never a set-in sleeve version. This and the Custom Knits book are great inspiration. I need to try that!

mooncalf said...

Oh that was so worth all the work that went into it. It love the design and it fits perfectly. Great colour too.

Mommabear7@sbcglobal.net said...

This sweater is devine! I love how it drapes and the pattern shows up. Wish hubby could wear wool (he is alergic) and he hates sweaters. Silly man wears sweats all winter long. Huggs Marion

Rachel said...

That is truly amazing. What a great design! I'd love to knit something like that for my hubby, but I don't think I'd have the patience to do that with size 3 needles - you're a saint to do that! My man is an extra-large, and I'd be working on it for the next three years, lol!

That's a really cool new cable pattern, btw. I LOVE cables!

orata said...

It looks fabulous! I can't imagine knitting a cabled men's sweater on size 3's, though... you must have spent so much time on this. Hope he appreciates it enough.

mooncalf said...

erm, unrelatedly, what colour are thinking of using for your St James sweater? I've got some forest green jaeger aran that I think I might use. I'm wondering about 3/4 length sleeves too as I think I might get more use out of it that way...

granny said...

i feel like you just started that!!

so quick! especially considering its on size 3 needles?! the shirt i'm working on is on 5's and i'm just about wanting to rip my hair out.

patience. haha.

it looks great!!

Team Knit ! said...

oh wow, that's a fabulous sweater! and it's so hard to make good men's sweaters, too. You've done an incredible job- congrats!!

- Julie

emicat said...

wow.... that is a beautiful beautiful sweater in a really gorgeous shade of blue.

Great job! I love that sweater!!!