Thursday, September 18, 2008

Swiss chard and apple quiche

All my knitting is boring ole stockinette, so I thought I'd share a recipe with you. This was the first year I made a real effort to try to make my little garden grow, ie have some green around the little patch of concrete behind the house. I planted lots of plants, and did get some mileage out of the herbs, but everything else (tomatoes, lettuces, bok choy, peppers, and lots more) got gobbled up by the evil, evil squirrels. Except the swiss chard! I got three baby swiss chard plants from Bowood farms waaaay back, and they all survived! I inherited most everything from my mom except her green thumb (and boobage), so it is amazing that the swiss chard survived at all. It's the only food that DH introduced me to, and I love swiss chard because it's like spinach, except variegated!

Back to the quiche. I initially started with a recipe from Vegetarian Times (before they got all slick), but I've changed it a lot over the years. It's a great early fall recipe, but can really be adapted for any dark greens and mushrooms. I even served mini ones at my wedding, although I never got to eat one.

Ingredients:
1 9" pie crust
2 T olive oil
1 onion
1 c (~4 oz) swiss chard
1.5 c sliced mushrooms, any type
1 apple (depending on apple size, 1/2 to 1 apple)
2 T flour
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon
2 eggs
1 c shredded cheese -- a sharp cheddar or a blend works well
1/2 c milk (soy milk is fine)
salt and fresh pepper.

Heat oven to 375F

1. Roll out pie dough, and place into pie dish, cake pan, or on cookie sheet.
2. Heat olive oil in pan. Chop onion and saute. Add mushrooms, and saute until liquid is released and boiled off. This will all take ~20 min.
3. Meanwhile, shred swiss chard (roll up several leaves like a cigar, and slice ~1/4" thick). Add to pan. Saute until wilted. Add salt and pepper. This mixture can be refrigerated for a week.
4. Dice apple. Save 1/2 c, and eat the rest. Toss together with flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
5. Beat eggs, cheese, and milk in a separate bowl until blended.
6. Add apples to egg mixture.
7. Spread swiss chard-mushroom mixture into crust. Pour in apple-egg mixture, and spread around until roughly even.
8. Bake 35-45 minutes, until top is browned and egg is set. Let cool and set for at least 10 min.

Delicious! Here's a half-eaten one in the pie pan (it got eaten before the camera came out).

And here's one I made in a springform pan in a rough tart sort of thing.

I love this recipe because it is so adaptable--you can replace the chard with spinach, kale, or other greens (beet greens would be very good), depending on availability. And because of all the green, you feel sort of virtuous eating it!

3 comments:

Mommabear7@sbcglobal.net said...

This sounds very yummy! I will try it and let you know. My 8 yr old Barbie (God Bless her little heart) Loves all veggies and this I know she will love! And she also is a egg lover so I know it will go over good with her thanks for shareing. As for the veggie garden the swiss chard looks wonderful! Darn squrrels. Huggs marion

orata said...

I love Swiss chard, both in the garden and to eat!

emicat said...

Yum, that looks great! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)