Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Almost there!

Is there some sort of curse on knit-bloggers? It seems every day at least one of the knit bloggers I follow gets sick, has pain (especially in the wrists, no duh), or is complaining of some other chronic ailment. Well it's my turn today. Feeling under the weather, I felt justified in taking it easy today on work, and finishing up the torso of my Lush and Lacy cardi.

There was a lot of picking up stitches and ends to be woven in (I'm halfway done with the weaving, I just couldn't stand it anymore), but it's done! As you all know, I detest seaming, so I did the torso in one section, then closed the shoulders with 3-needle bind-off. Now I'm almost out of yarn, so the sleeves will have to wait until I make it to the yarn store. I'm planning to pick up stitches for the sleeves and knit them top-down, so I can try on the cardigan as I go. This will hopefully prevent the 3/4 sleeves from being regular sleeves on me. Hah! This is the smartest idea my foggy brain has thought all day.

I love the little pockets! I'm not sure what they can hold--maybe chapstick and and ipod, but they are so adorable just on their own! How fun would it be to carry around a little Korknisse in each pocket?
Correction: this is the smartest idea I've had all day.

The gauge is just a touch smaller than it's supposed to be, and I'm afraid that the sweater will gape in front if I just do the buttons at the top (see bottom pic of this post). I'm not a huge fan of the "cold-belly" look anyway. A zipper might be nice to hold everything together, but then I think of toggles and frog closures, and they sound way more fun. I dunno. What should I use to close this cardi?

7 comments:

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

Ties? Maybe some icord or some ribbon? not sure I have such good ideas? or maybe the buttons that are like a wooden straight thingy and then the long narrow cords that hold it. I know this is perfectly clear as mudd.

ern said...

yea, ties are a good idea, or even the long rectangular buttons with icord ties on the other side so you can make it tigher and looser?

mooncalf said...

Wow that was fast!

I would consider every other earthly possibility before I put a zipper in a sweater again. Everything. Velcro, post-it notes, bits of chewing gum, everything!

I might consider those chinese knot closure things they had on the Knitting Daily newsletter the other day...

That's a 7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

toggles will still gap, just like buttons. I'd go for the zipper.

Rachel said...

That looks really beautiful - great job!

tina said...

I agree with Deborah----- a closure will still gap, a zipper would be the way to go if you want it to be closed and lie flat. AND look nice and clean and not detract from the front.

Just my humble which as we know means diddly! :)

Team Knit ! said...

the lacy cardi is looking gerat so far! Korkies in your pocket is such a cute idea. Maybe to get the sleeves the right length, you could measure a three quarter sleeve top that you already have that fits the way you want the sleeves to fit, and make your sleeves the same length?jut a thought!

- Julie