Monday, October 20, 2008

FO: Flower scarf


I finally got the hang of knitting (and purling) continental (continentally?), and this scarf was done in a jiffy. My gauge started out normal when I was knitting regular/English for the first few rows, then when I switched to continental it was really loose, then got tighter and tighter, so by the end it was almost the same as the beginning. The whole thing is a bit wonky, but since the ends are gathered and squished, it's hard to tell.

The yarn is Jojoland melody superwash, leftover from these Knotty or Knice socks. I like this yarn much more knitted loosely like this--the different colored plies are actually visible, and the color changes are much nicer.

How cute is the little flower! The little ball on the other end wraps around and becomes the "pollen" in the flower, and holds the scarf together. I was hoping to be on a different color of the yarn by the time I got to the ball, but I had gone full circle through all of the colors and was back to the same color as the flower. Har! The ball is stuffed with half a cotton ball, and the white unfortunately shows through. Next time I'd change to small needles for the ball part.







The scarf is really warm, and since it's so little, I can carry it around more easily than a regular bulky scarf. The pattern is Flower Scarf (free Ravelry pattern), by Robyn Diliberto (MakeOne in Ravelry). The only mods I made were 1) using US size 4 needles instead of size 5, since I knew I'd be a loose, continental woman, and 2) knitting the ball continuously with the main scarf, instead of sewing it on separately. Otherwise, it's an easy, well-written, cute, instantly-gratifying pattern, and I'm totally up for making another one! The designer is from the St Louis and shops at the same LYS (Kirkwood Knittery), so maybe I'll run into her one day!

7 comments:

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

beautiful job!

orata said...

Cute! I love the separate pollen ball closure. It looks like it would make a great last-minute gift.

mooncalf said...

Nice work and what a cute design. I think I'll put continental purling on my 2009 challenge list.

The Elusive Loo said...

It's lovely. I like the way it fastens.

Team Knit ! said...

So pretty! The yarn you chose is perfect.

- Julie

Rachel said...

Great job, that looks really nice! Isn't it great once you've switched to Continental? I tell ya, the time you'll save is SOOO worth the angst at the beginning.

Bonnie said...

Fabulous! This would make a great gift.