Tuesday, October 7, 2008

FO: Knotty or knice socks


Done at last! Well, actually, they are a bit short but I couldn't bear to do another repeat of this very tedious pattern. There was lots of cabling, on every row of the "knots" part of the pattern, with all the knit stitches being twisted. Then I'd get confused and twist some of the plain knit stitches in the "columns" between the cables, aak! I'm happy with how they turned out, but wasn't too happy with the process.

The pattern is Knotty or Knice, by Chrissy Gardiner, from the Interweave Knits Fall 2008 issue (Ravelry link). Modifications included 1) Making the toe part in my own stumpy way, 2) continuing at 68 stitches past the heel, 3) stopping after 3 pattern repeats past the heel, and 4) doing 1x1 rib and suspended bind-off at the end. The pattern calls for just binding off without any ribbing, with a yarn-over-bind-off that was new to me. It just seemed like the socks wouldn't stay up, so despite my hatred of 1x1 rib, I did eight whole rows.

The yarn is Jojoland Melody Superwash, which has three variegated strands twisted together. I love the colorway, and I was kind of bummed that the three different strands are hard to see when the yarn is knitted up. You have to get really close:


I used US size 1 needles (thanks, Tina!) magic-looped, both socks at the same time. I have plenty of yarn leftover, probably about half of each ball, but since my scale battery died it's hard to tell. This yarn is very soft and non-itchy, so maybe the remainders will be turned into a hat. My only complaint about this yarn is that excess fuzz collects in a ring around the yarn, and has to be cut off once in a while. Other than that, this yarn is a delight, especially how the colors gradually change--very cool!

8 comments:

Mommabear7@sbcglobal.net said...

wow beautiful socks! love the way the color changes! Beautiful job!

Coffee Bean said...

ooh i like em! i have been debating doing these as a christmas gift, but they sound pretty time consuming, and i don't know if i have that much time.

But they are very pretty!

tina said...

congrats on finishing! YAY!!!

While they look lovely in photos, there is just no way that I can say enough---- they are absolutely incredible in person. Some knitted socks are 'socks'. Those are SOCKS!!!

mooncalf said...

ooh lovely. I love those tiny tiny cables.

donnac1968 said...

They look great, I love the colours.

granny said...

wow,

that looks pretty intense. they look great though!!

emicat said...

Great lookin socks! I also like the gradual changes in colour in that yarn too.

Team Knit ! said...

They are so pretty. I had been admiring the pattern in the latest Interweave as well, but strongly suspected I did not have the patience for all those little cross overs. You've confirmed it! They are a lovely final product!

- Julie