Tuesday, December 16, 2008

FO: neckwarmer


I am so glad neckwarmers are the new scarves. Mainly because after finishing one of three balls of yarn for a scarf, I realized I didn't have enough yarn. Also, neckwarmers are a heck of a lot faster! I used straight needles, for the first time in a LONG time. (Usually I use straight needles to occupy my needleholder.)

The yarn is Plymouth Yarn Suri Merino, which is super soft and non-itchy. This red is manly too, because it has bits of gray-green mixed in, so it's suitable for a man's gift. The wet block did the fabric a world of good, and now it doesn't curl, and it's even drapier and softer!

The stitch pattern is Woven Diamond Pattern from A Treasury of Knitting Patterns. It's a slipped stitch pattern, and I must say, slipped stitches are so much faster in continental. It is very hard to photograph the pattern, especially the back, which shows the same diamond pattern in a subtly raised purl pattern.

I kept on measuring and trying on as I went, and the sizing turned out great! Final measurements are 7" wide, 28.5" long. Buttonholes were placed about an inch before finishing, then I finished with an inch of garter edge, and attached buttons on the opposite long edge. What a satisfying quick little knit! I'm going to have to make a bunch more of these...

5 comments:

ern said...

that looks great!
i just made a hat for my boyfriend for christmas because he tries not to wear scarves (he's from minnesota, its a mid-west "my-skin-is-thick" thing).
I'm nervous he won't like it but, he's going to have to pretend to. haha.

tina said...

That worked out PERFECTLY! Love it and so will your fil!

soknitpicky said...

Wonderful! It looks so cozy and warm!

mooncalf said...

I'm still waiting for neckwarmers to become the new scarves here in the UK. A couple of years ago I made my MIL a Cherry Garcia cowl from some really expensive Noro yarn. She asked me if it was some kind of hat. My mind boggled, and then was slightly crushed.

emicat said...

That looks great and I love the colour! I'll have to keep this in mind for gifts.

I love the buttons! :)