Sunday, December 28, 2008

Foiled

Air travel, as much as I detest it, at least offers ample knitting time. Especially if one is knitting, say, a stockinette vest in the round that can be knitted with eyes closed. I was doing pretty well, interrupted only by giggle fits about this view on the plane:

The vest is really starting to look like a vest now!

Then tragedy struck: the plastic circular part (purple) of my needles simply eroded and broke off where it joins the needle.

Right now I have saved the dropped stitches on a double point needle, and I'm trying to figure out how to repair the circ. Ordinarily I'd just go out and buy a replacement, but I don't know of any knitting stores nearby in upstate New York that would be open on a Sunday. I am considering melting the plastic part a little bit and trying to jam it back on. Maybe this is fate telling me to work on the ribbing around the neck and armholes with the dpns. Aargh!

4 comments:

emicat said...

Oh no! I hope you can fix/save the vest! Yikes!

LOL on the front passenger photo. You should've used your flash for that nice "bling" effect ;)

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

poor guy sitting in front of you, but it is funny! as for the knitting needles I think maybe some superglue? Good luck huggs Marion

Team Knit ! said...

oh, I hate it when needles fall apart mid project!! the vest is looking great though.

- Julie

ern said...

that sounds awful.
i would probably go insane if that happened to me.
i went to my bf's moms for christmas and almost had a panic attack when i realized i didn't bring the right size needles for the hat i wanted to make.
so, instead, i started on the 2nd pair of socks for my trip.
... the same pattern.

hah.