Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fair enough fair isle

Oops! A whole week has gone by without a single post! I've been working on Fair Enough, which was coming along so fast initially that I thought I'd have a FO by now. Then, of course, I had to do the sleeves. Sleeve-knitting exists in its own, sluggish world, and it took me all week to finish them. Granted, they were being magic-looped at the same time, but still.

As much as I love top-down designs, there's something to the said for bottom-up raglan or yoke sweaters, once the dreadful sleeves are done. One goes from this (these are the sleeves and torso separate)

to this in one row,

and then (with lots of decreases so the sweater grows exponentially faster) to this in no time!

This is my first fair isle project, and it's a fair enough (har!) job so far. On the pink diamond pattern, I was carrying the yarn too tightly in the back, and the pink yarn was just a little bit thinner, so the pattern is puckered and not very visible. I started weaving the yarn in the back as I knitted on the top (white diamond) pattern, which looks a lot better.
I'm hoping everything will even out in blocking...

4 comments:

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

I have missed you!!! And the sweater is beautiful!!! As usual! I adore the colors, the fair isle work, and all of it adorable. I bet you look wonderful in that color. Thanks for shareing! Marion

emicat said...

The sweater is looking good! I'm going to be taking a jab at Fair Isle in a class next month and starting to feel intimidated. Hopefully I'll get through!

tina said...

the photo is good but does not even BEGIN to show how really great this sweater is in person! I love it, and you have done another wonderful job!!!

Rachel said...

That looks great, especially for your first Fair Aisle project. So far I've been too chicken to try that . . ,,