Saturday, January 24, 2009

FO: Cochineal Fair Enough

This one languished, awaiting buttons, but it's finally done! The pattern is Fair Enough, by Wendy Bernard (Knit and Tonic). The only modification I made was making the sleeves 2" shorter. This is the first sweater I've ever had, purchased or knitted, where the sleeves don't go past my knuckles. Hooray for handknits!

The yarn was a gift from my niece, purchased from the Farmer's Museum in Cooperstown, New York. There's no brand name, but it's now entered into Ravelry in case someone else gets it too. It's a nice, smooth worsted-weight 100% wool yarn, that's surprisingly not too itchy. It's dyed with carmine dye, which comes from beetles, hence the name of the sweater. I was afraid it would look too valentine-y, with the red, pink, and white, but in the end very little of the pink shows, and it's perfectly wearable. (I carried the yarn in the back too tightly on the pink pattern, so despite my stretching-est blocking efforts, it is still puckered and the pink stitches are tiny). The red is a rich, lovely, not-screamy red, but unfortunately there is some subtle color variation, and one of the sleeve-to-yoke joins is really obvious.


The camera battery ran out before I got a close-up of the buttons. They are pearl shank buttons, and I'm happy to say I was able to find non-plastic buttons (the shanks are metal), although I was not happy that they cost about what the yarn in the sweater cost.

Overall, this was a fun little cardigan, and I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt at fair isle. I have lots of yarn left over, especially the white and pink, so I may make a little one for my niece. The only beef I have with this pattern is the puckering in the underpits, which seems to be a common problem with these yoked sweaters. I'd appreciate any suggestions for an easy fix!

7 comments:

emicat said...

I love it! And again, such a great fit! I'm looking forward to my fair isle class next month. I hope it won't be too hard :)

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

Beautiful job as usual!!! I'm just amazed at how you just do things!!! Love it love it love it!!! Huggs Marion

Team Knit ! said...

it looks like a perfect fit!!! wow, it turned out SO well. Great job!

- Julie

VeganCraftastic said...

Super cute!

donnac1968 said...

That's lovely, a great fit. And well done to your neice for picking a great yarn.

mooncalf said...

Oh it is lovely. Even as a knitter I can't see the problems you're pointing out. I hope you wear it all the time!

Rachel said...

Gosh that's lovely, and looks fantastic on you, too! I saw that pattern before but didn't think much of knitting it, but now you've got me very interested . . .

Great, another project I want to start, lol!