Monday, January 26, 2009

FO: flapper hat

This is the hat on the cover of Boutique Knits, which convinced me to buy the book without even looking inside. And sometimes, one just has to abandon all the other long-term WIPs, go out and buy the yarn and cast on and finish a whole new little instant-gratification project!

It's Side Slip Cloche, by Laura Irwin. The recommended yarn (Rowan Soft Luxe) is no longer available, so I used Lang Silkdream instead, which is 50% silk and 50% merino wool. It has a nice sheen to it, so I thought it'd be a good substitute for the Soft Luxe, which has little sparkly bits in it.

The pattern is very easy, and went fast after picking up the stitches from the brim. The little curly ruffles are so cute! They are meant to be worn this way, with the "wrong" sides of the ruffle facing forward, and Laura Irwin must have been sort of miffed that it is worn backwards on the cover.

My husband, upon seeing this hat, asked, "What is this, some sort of flapper hat?" Er, yes, yes it is--I even named it that yesterday when I cast on! This hat is so adorable and soft that I want to keep it for myself. Since this one's a very late Christmas gift, I may have to make one for myself too.

7 comments:

emicat said...

It is flapperish, isn't it? Looks great!!!

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

Beautiful!!!

RogueKnits said...

Darn you - just bought the book so I could make one too!!!

soknitpicky said...

Oh, it's great! I like it worn both ways, actually

VeganCraftastic said...

Oooh cute, I really need to get that book!

orata said...

Adorable! I love it.

tina said...

Adorable, and you look so cute in it! Wish I could see it in person tonight.............. next time okay?