Sunday, February 15, 2009

FO: Crookshanks pet bed

That's not a real cat--it's Mrs. Chippy, who is a fake cat made of rabbit fur. She's barely squeezing into the wee little pet bed I just cast off. The pattern is Snug Harbor Knit Snuggle, by Rae French, who designs a lot of pet blankets and beds for charity. The yarn is left over from my niece's Harry Potter sweater, in Gryffindor colors, so that's why this bed is Crookshanks. The sides are knit with the yarn held single, and the bottom is knit with the yarn held double, so that it will be a bit cushier. The walls are stuffed and sewn shut, to make a nice coccoon of a bed.

I used size 8 needles, which is smaller than recommended in the pattern, since I was using slightly thinner yarns. And the bed turned out tiny! Here it is with a 5" gauge thingy. The bed is good for a kitten, or a runt chihuahua.

No matter about the size though, since I knit this bed with the intention of giving it away, because Cammy has a bed, pillow, toys, and, well, pretty much every other possible knitted thing one can make for a cat. Or so I thought...I briefly set the bed down next to the piles of all the other knitting crapola on the floor, while I wrote this post. Look who decided she doesn't care if she can't fit in the bed!

7 comments:

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

My cat would not fit!!! She weighs 12 or 15 lbs! My Mini doxie is about 5 so she may fit but im not sure!!! lmao the bed is beautiful! Its too funny that cat trying to fit!!!! Huggs Marion

sula said...

Of course if you had intended it for her she never would have sniffed twice at it!! Cute.

mooncalf said...

Aww look at her eyes! How could you take it away? Funny little thing!

e said...

SUPER cute!!

tina said...

Well you were right...... it is a bit small! :) How hilarious that Cammy still wants that bed, I think ownership has happened!

Team Knit ! said...

That pet bed is awesome! Maybe wet blocking it might make it a bit bigger? I love how your cat totally doesn't care that she's too big for it!! :D

- Julie

alen mcmilan said...

She is looking very nice in the last picture. I am very impress on your given information it will become a very useful to me because I just adopt one cat so thanks for sharing nice idea.