Thursday, March 26, 2009

FO: Treat headband

This was a little break/treat for myself, since Golden Poplar is going so slowly. I love wearing headbands, and I liked the idea of a knitted one that is still the stiff kind of headband (as opposed to the purely knitted fabric ones that wrap all the way around). So how exciting that Boutique Knits(by Laura Irwin), which I bought just for the hat on the cover, should have just that!

It calls for laceweight yarn, but I decided to use the Jojoland Melody leftover from these socks and this flower scarf. It's pretty thin for a sock yarn, and besides, I've been trying to get rid of the little bit left in the stash for a while.

First, I had to find the band part of the headband. I found this headband, which I wore once, only because I felt guilty for buying such a piece of crap.

I peeled off all the fabric, which had been attached with glue--very classy--and ended up with this. There's a strip of stickiness on the top that won't come off with washing.

Then I got to knitting. So much for a quick little treat! Cables and bobbles on US size 0 needles go really slowly. There are many bobbles and cables in an asymmetric pattern, which looked good in the pattern (as everything does, in this book). In this yarn though, the cables got lost, and the bobbles were just tedious and ended up over-bobbley. I learned an important lesson: bobbles are fun, only for the first couple bobbles. Still, I dutifully bobbled and cabled away, when horrors, I ran out of yarn less than an inch from the end! Aargh! I ended up frogging the end of the flower scarf, color-matching be damned.

Note the unbent paper clip I used instead of a cable needle, because all my cable needles are too thick. Sewing the knitted thing onto the band was a huge PITA. Never again! Also, although I loved this yarn initially, now that I've made 3 projects with it I've totally changed my mind. It's splitty, sheddy, too thin, and there's too much of the yucky color and not enough of the good colors. There are three plys of different colors, and each one slowly changes color. Unfortunately some of the time (ok, much of the time) the three colors blend into a grey-ish blah. Sadly, most of the headband is a muddy olive color, and the fun orange-y color is just on the side.

Still, it's fun to have a cabled, bobbled, multi-colored knitted headband. It saves one the trouble of explaining oneself to the world.

8 comments:

Team Knit ! said...

that headband is awesome, I love it!! great job on turning something meh into something great.

- Julie

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

You are good!!! I love the headband now I want one!!! huggs Marion

(Not-So) Cynical Gal said...

very impressive!

tina said...

well it might have been a huge pain in the butt but the headband is DARLING!!!! Way too cute! I think after all that work you should probably sleep in that sucker!

mooncalf said...

I love the line: 'Still, it's fun to have a cabled, bobbled, multi-colored knitted headband. It saves one the trouble of explaining oneself to the world.'

I'm currently in the process of justifying the purchase of that same book by knitting the Pleated Denim Purse. If I haven't knit 3 patterns from a book I feel wasteful. maybe there's a headband in my future...

e said...

the headband looks great! I'm sorry you didn't get the color you want but, I like the color you got!

soknitpicky said...

Ooh, cute!

Rachel said...

Ha, I LOVE it - "It saves oneself from explaining oneself to the world".

That should totally become my life's motto!