Sunday, March 1, 2009

FO: Vivian

How awesome is Vivian? I lurve this sweater, even if it took me forever and a day (for the zipper) to knit.

If you like cables, Vivian is so much fun, especially where the shaping is done with the cables in the front. It's a good thing there's a lot of obvious shaping, because all the poofy cables aren't terribly flattering--this is NOT a slimming garment. The cables are complicated, but everything is charted out really clearly. In the end, the left and right sides turn out perfectly symmetric.

The big cables on the sleeves travel up to be the shoulder yoke, then continue on to the top of the head and are kitchenered together. Cool, eh? I figured out how to kitchener in pattern to do the top of the hood--I just need to write it down before I forget. If I can sort out how to explain it clearly, I'll post a little tutorial soon.

I made a few modifications to the pattern, of course. The original pattern is very pear-shaped, so I started with the smallest size at the bottom, changed to the next size around the waist, and changed to the next size around the bust. It's also too long, so I skipped about 2 inches of the bottom, and about 4 inches of the sleeves. Besides all the awesome cables, the best thing about this pattern is that it is knit in one piece, with set-in sleeves. No finishing!!

There are two tiny errors in the pattern, which is astonishing considering how complicated all the math must have been--one is that the very last row has a set of decreases that would cause an odd number of stitches to be kitchenered. The other is a tiny mistake in the cable chart, where a 2-over-1 cable has the back stitch being knit instead of purled. Overall, this pattern (from Twist Collective) is amazingly clear and easy to follow. The designer Ysolda also moderates the Ravelry KAL for this pattern, which has been very helpful.

The yarn is Alpaca with a Twist Highlander, which is a yummy blend of alpaca and merino, with little tweedy bits. I used about 7.5 balls, which is less than the pattern called for, probably because I left out so much of the torso. The final product is so cuddly and wonderful! This is officially my favorite handknit sweater!

11 comments:

Rachel said...

WOWWEEE! That looks stunning on you!

VeganCraftastic said...

Gorgeous!

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

I adore your choice of yarn color and texture! The sweater itself is awsome and looks warm and cozy, You have amazed me again with your knowledge and patients. thanks for shareing your awsome work. You do inspire me. Marion

Sereknitty said...

Amazing! Beautifully done!

orata said...

Wow, this is just beautiful! I think the shaping makes it very flattering despite the heavy cabling.

mooncalf said...

It is gorgeous and you've really tailored it to fit you perfectly. Totally worth every second of the knitting!

soknitpicky said...

So gorgeous! Congratulations!

donnac1968 said...

Wow, that is fantastic, well done!

emicat said...

WOW that looks GREAT!!! I looooove it! Great job :)

tina said...

Yoel, what a gorgeous sweater! Beautiful, sassy, knit-showy, and very flattering! Cant wait to see it in person!

Thea said...

wow - this is absolutely gorgeous -- I love the tweed in the pattern - it really looks lovely.