Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Gridlock poplar

A wonderful knit night tonight. Everyone has lovely projects on the needles, and we all had a good time ooh-ing and aah-ing. After a couple hours, I did about an inch of the Golden Poplar.

This stitch pattern is awesome, it really is. It's just that half the rows are spent slipping most of the stitches, which takes just as long as just knitting them. I calculated, and it takes a thousand stitches (knit or slipped) to make a quarter inch of this sweater. Holy mole. I am knitting both sides at once (I never figured out how to do this stitch pattern in the round), so at least I won't end up with half-shirt syndrome. I'm trying to become more of a process-knitter rather than a product-knitter, but this sure is slow! I'm craving some bulky-yarn stockinette something crazy!

I must be crazy, because today I saw a granny square blanket and was over the moon about it. It's over at purl bee, and the colors are so divine you'd faint. I was re-decorating my whole house in my mind around this crocheted blanket. But no, must resist the siren song of granny square blankets...tis a slippery slope to crocheted TP covers.

5 comments:

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

LOL I'm doing a granny square quilt for my MIL out of scarp yarn. You do such devine work!!! Love looking at your blog!! Huggs Marion

Thea said...

That poplar is so cool. i can't wait to see it done. How about crochet hats or scarves? I've just come into a whole bunch of vintage crochet mags and folders and i don't crochet..

Team Knit ! said...

ooh, that poplar sweater is looking great so far!! I checked out your link to the granny square blanket- god, wow, that makes me want to up my crochet skills! So many needlework projects, so little time in the day....

- Julie

VeganCraftastic said...

oooh, the colors on that granny square blanket are so pretty!

Rachel said...

Wow, I saw the link of that sweater before and didn't think too much of it, but now that I see your colors and how it's knitting up, I'm really liking it! Cool!