Saturday, March 14, 2009

Spring knitting

One knit night a few weeks ago, Silvana brought a knitting book so crack-like-euphoric, that the rest of us each bought a copy. French Girl Knits, by Kristeen Griffin-Grimes, is chock full of the lovliest knitted goodies and great new-ish techniques (side-to-side sweaters, seamless set-in sleeves). Mine just arrived yesterday, and I can't decide which pattern to start first. Eeee!
Of course, if one orders something on Knitpicks, there's really no point unless you get order enough to get the free shipping. As much as I'd like to go to one of the many wonderful LYS's in the area for every knitted item, I don't have the time to make a trip every couple weeks (and you know a LYS trip takes all day). So I stocked up, er, a little bit.

I've realized that while I knitting projects big and small, what I actually wear with any regularity are the two St James tops, because long-sleeved sweaters are too hot and bulky to wear at work. The annoying part is having to hand wash the tops every time, and unlike long-sleeved tops, these are worn next to the skin and need to be washed frequently. So the plan for spring knitting is to make a few short-sleeved tops or tanks in machine-washable yarns, and maybe write up a couple patterns in the process.

The first one will be a knit-along with Silvana of a vintage pattern, Golden Poplar, in a green-and-navy combo from Essential sock yarn.

If anyone else wants to knit along, please join us in the Vintage Knitting group on Ravelry!

Next, there's some organic cotton. Despite all my efforts, it's actually pretty hard to find organic, non-itchy yarns that are machine washable (and forget about local). Simply Cotton is a pretty new yarn, and I was pleased to feel how soft and smooth it is. We'll have to see how it holds up.

Lastly, I've been wanting to try Cotlin for a while, and got some icy blue for a nice, cool, linen top for warm weather.

Actually, one more. Every knitter needs a shawl, right? I got this gorgeous Shimmer, which is alpaca and silk, for a light but warm shawl for playing dress-up.

Ack! So much for my resolution to have no stash. I'd best get knitting!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Heh, the best part about resolutions is breaking them, I say!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who falls big time for that "free shipping" deal that Knitpicks has, lol! I ALWAYS end up getting more than my "I'll just get one set of circulars" resolution!

Can't wait to see what you think of those cottons. I've wanted to try them, but I've not knit much with cotton yarn and I'm afraid of shrinking, stretching, etc.

soknitpicky said...

I really like Viola and have that queued up from the book.

Now that I don't wear a white coat anymore, it really opens up possibilities 'cause I agree it's hard to find stuff that'll fit under those coats properly.

VeganCraftastic said...

I really need to get my hands on some of that organic cotton!

emicat said...

Oooh, there are some great knits in that book - I got to check out a few project from that book at my LYS yesterday - somehow I missed seeing the one you're knitting in the book while I quickly browsed through it - that's a beauty!

Look forward to seeing how this one turns out too!