Wednesday, June 17, 2009

WIP: Bainbridge socks

I'm back in St Louis, back at work, and back to profligate knitting. Sometimes (I tell myself), knitting goes faster when there are two very different projects to switch back and forth. Since I'm on ever longer rows of the Mermaid shawl, and the lace is getting tedious,

I cast on for some mainly-stockinette socks. This is from the Blue Moon Socks that Rock that I got on Bainbridge island, hence the name of the socks. I'm sort of using the Mad Color Weave socks by Tina Lorin, except I'm knitting toe-up, using a different number of stitches, doing a different heel, leaving out the side cables, and doing both at once on magic loop.

So basically, I'm making my usual socks, except borrowing the main slipped-stitch pattern, which is perfect for variegated yarn.

I've realized a really obvious and handy trick for sock-knitting (and any other purse knitting). I write out the outline of the pattern on one side of a 3x5" index card, and on the edge of the other side, I copy measurements from a ruler. This way, I can just carry around the little card, and use it to measure my progress, so I know when to start turning the heel. This way, I don't have to carry around a measuring tape, pattern, scratch paper for hash markes, and so on. So simple!

2 comments:

tina said...

Can't wait to see both the shawl in prog as well as the socks.

re: your card/measurer----- you are wicked clever as always! :)

Team Knit ! said...

both the shawl and the socks look great!! I can understand how you would need different kinds of knitting on the go.

- Julie