Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day of freedom yarn binge

Yesterday, I finished my residency and turned in my pager. Hooray! Except for feeling naked and hallucinating a pager ring and panicking every 10 minutes or so, it feels exhilarating! I was given the day off today to finish up my residency duties, which meant a whole pager-free, responsibility-free day! So, like anyone would, I went to the yarn store.

Happily, Knitorious is having a big sale. I finally bought some Cascade Pima Silk for the Saturday in the Park Perfect Dress, which I believe is the longest-residing pattern in my ravelry queue. This may be the first time I've ever gotten the same yarn and colorway for anything. Ten balls of yarn is a lot of yarn!

Then I found some baby-friendly yarn for a friend's new baby, to knit Little Liza Jane, from the most recent Twist Collective. The yarn is babyboo, a blend of bamboo and nylon, by Knit One, Crochet Too. I like the slight shimmer in the yarn, and I bet the baby's mama is going to really like the machine-washability.

I've been wanting to try out Blue Sky Alpaca's Dyed Cotton for a while. It's 100% organic cotton, but not to be confused with their Organic Cotton, which seems to be the same except not dyed. I got this great blue-green color to knit the Leaf Yoke Top from the most recent issue of Knit 1. Then I realized I don't have the pattern and it's not available online! Boo :(. Does anyone have this issue, or know where I can get it?

I have yet to finish any of the projects that were languishing two months ago. But they're very close! So I'm motivating myself by saying I can cast on with one new yarn, for each project I fully finish. Well, except maybe for swatching...

8 comments:

Anna said...

I also went to Knitorious today and came away with a ton of yarn! What a great sale -- hope to get it up my Ravelry tomorrow to share the pretty yarn with everyone.

betty said...

I've seen Knit.1 at one of my local Borders. Borders carries quite a large selection of knitting and other crafting mags.

Thea said...

hey congrats! I havent' seen the mag, but I love the top and the dress - have fun with the new freedom and do some great things!

soknitpicky said...

Congratulations! That phantom page thing lasts for a little while, but eventually it goes away :-) Where to next?

I've seen that mag at both B&N and Borders.

Candy said...

Congrats on finishing up your residency and moving forward :)

Team Knit ! said...

that is definitely some gorgeous new yarn!!

- Julie

knitwit said...

Congratulations! Celebrating with yarn is always the best way to go, imho.

Rose Red said...

Congratulations! Hope the pager feeling goes away soon.

Gorgeous yarns - that dress is fabulous, the colour is divine.