Thursday, September 24, 2009

FO: Green vest

It's been busy chez yoel. Just 8 more days until the big bad board exam! I did manage to finish--4 days early and 2.5 balls of yarn to spare (never heard-of for a gift project!)--a green vest for DH for his birthday. Woot woot! Celebrations have been rather subdued, what with the studying and all, but he did get to wear his vest on his birthday, like a day-long hug.

Isn't he a cutie, even in the harsh hurried light of dawn before work? The directions are from the sleeveless sweater in Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top. This book is awesome. The yarn is Lambswool and Cashmere, by Simply Shetland, and I used about 4.5 balls. Yes, it pays to have a svelte SO--they make for faster and cheaper FO's. This is the best v-neck band I've done so far...I think I've cracked the secret. If I can replicate it I'll let you all in on it.

I think my armhole ribbing was pretty nice too. At the very end, when I was doing the bottom hem ribbing and endlessly bitching about how much I hate knitting ribbing, DH commented, "Ribbing, not for her pleasure." This should be this blog's motto!

DH now has vests in blue, gray, and green. He still wants a vest each in mustard yellow, choc brown, rust/orange, and sky blue. Oh, and some with stripes too! Anyone have a knitting machine they want to donate?

8 comments:

Team Knit ! said...

the vest turned out great!! love that green you chose, it looks amazing on him. Great job!!

- Julie

emicat said...

Your man looks great in his new vest! I really do love that green. heh, that would be a great knitblog title, wouldn't it? :)

Wishing you all the best w/ your upcoming board exam! You can do it!

thea said...

looks perfect. Fits just right -- sounds like you should just churn a few more out while studying.... :-)

Louey said...

nice work, it looks good. I like the choice in colour too

Allyson said...

It looks great! How nice you have a boy who likes vests, as opposed to sweaters. Knitting sleeves takes FOREVER! By the time I get to the sleeve part I always say, 'This would make a lovely sweater vest...' hehe

tina said...

How handsome B is!!!!!! He looks fab in the vest, yes ma'am!

Keep on studying, nose to the grindstone and all that......

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

Beautiful job as always! And I hate to break this to you but I have this feeling you are the knitting machine. A beautiful and talented one at that!!! Priceless! Huggs Marion

VeganCraftastic said...

Very nice!