Sunday, September 13, 2009

WIP: green vest

Due to DH's impending birthday, the market cardi has been put on hold to make him a green vest. It's top-down, following the general instructions from Barbara Walker's Knitting from the top. All the thought-requiring parts (shoulder short rows, neck, armholes) are done, and now it's just stockinette-smooth sailing til the end. (Well, except for the neck and armhole edging, which for now is out of sight, out of mind.)

He picked out the yarn, Simply Shetland Lambswool & Cashmere. It has an odd crunchy feel, but it blooms nicely with blocking and gets soft. I love the multiple green tones. I'm not quite sure what to call this kind of dyeing--there are four plys and each one has all the different shades of green, so that the yarn/fabric looks slightly mottled.

Hopefully this vest will be done in time. It has been a busy weekend, including attending a wedding at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. (No, I did not take knitting to the wedding). After the ceremony we saw some more of the gardens. This orange/purple leafy plant, whose name I can never remember, was so pretty!

There was an archway with squash vines growing on top, with comical fruit hanging down.
Now it's time to get back to work, namely studying my butt off, and the knitting will have to wait. Boo. Oh to be done with deadlines and exams!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That green is really a lovely shade! (Oh, that plant is called a Coleus I think).

Team Knit ! said...

that green yarn is stunning! I love the tonal variations, so pretty.

- Julie

tina said...

you are flying on that vest! Looks great I just love the yarn.

Flat Creek Farm said...

Love the vest! Sheesh, those needles must fly as many projects as you complete! -Tammy p.s. I second "coleus" for the plants. The weird gourds might be loofah? But i'm probably wrong on that!

emicat said...

That is an awesome plant - great colors!

This post reminds me that I need to get started on my boyfriend's socks. He's been asking for a pair since I learned how to knit almost 3 years ago, lol. I guess I wanted to make sure I made the perfect pair, and I think it's time :)