Saturday, September 5, 2009

WIP: market cardi

As every knitter who subscribes to knitting magazines knows, the fall issue for pretty much every magazine this year hit it out of the park. They are full of patterns that people want to knit and wear--amazing! I've never actually knitted any big projects from a magazine pattern before. In fact, the only magazine projects I can think of are these plain socks, and these other not-so-plain socks. So it's a really big deal that there is not one, but several patterns I want to knit this season out of IK and VK, which I subscribe to, and also Knitscene, which I've so far avoided because the projects were a bit juvenile, but it seemes to have matured. This is the first one.

It's the Farmer's Market Cardigan, by Connie Chang Chinchio. Look at the cute little pockets! With the ribbed edge at the top of the pockets that then turns to line the collar! It is a bit long and tunic-y for my usual tastes, but tunics seem to be a big thing these days, and I'm hoping that with some waist shaping/belt my legs will not look so stumpy. I've done the main torso so far. I'm not using the recommended yarn (Lorna's Laces), mainly b/c it wasn't available at the LYS where I returned all the unused balls of yarn from the truncated dress. Instead, I'm using Cascade 220 tweed. Gauge was bang on, even the row gauge after 80 rows. Hooray!

Now just the sleeves, pockets, and ginorm ribbed edging left! Hopefully it'll be done soon enough to wear to a farmer's market before they close down for the year.

5 comments:

betty said...

I'm looking forward to see this one as a finished sweater. I queued it up, but I'm waiting to see some completed ones before doing any knitting

Rachel said...

Lovely, and I can't wait to see how it comes out!

tina said...

It is gorgeous and I do love the yarn choice. Have you mellowed on it????? Fabulous sweater!

VeganCraftastic said...

That's going to be so cute!

Team Knit ! said...

ooh, I loved this cardi, too!! Your burgundy tweed version is going to be amazing. Can't wait to see it!!

- Julie