Monday, October 5, 2009

Back to life

Yippee! The big bad board exams are over! And it's vacation! It's such a huge relief not having a big academic burden looming and/or hideous work hours. The idea of spending evenings and weekends not in a studying/working spazzfest is exhilarating. I realized, after the board exam, how much I love getting a big stack of books--real books, not medical texts--and devouring them, and how many years (8? 10?) it has been since I've done that. So I went over to the library, and got real books and books on CD for this roadtrip in upstate NY. And I read, and it was good. This afternoon, I'm going back to the Berry Hill Book Shop. And the rest of the week will be spent leaf-peeping whilst reading and knitting. It's a good life after all!

Of course, no trip-planning is complete without the ridiculous amount of worry and renegotiations one has about what knitting to take. The market cardi has been cast aside for so long for the birthday vest and studying. The torso of the cardi is done, ends woven in and everything. What remains is the hideously long cabled ribbing shawl collar (what was I thinking?) and the sleeves. Sadly, the torso part took up too much space in the carry-on and had to be left at home. One half of the shawl collar was done, and the other half was just enough knitting for the plane trip. Here is the full collar, chillaxing on the deck railing.

Actually, I'm 6 rows short, but the rest of the yarn is at home. I'm planning to knit the sleeves top-down after picking up stitches from the torso, so the rest of this cardi will have to wait until I'm back home. Which I knew when I was packing, so of course, I packed more than one project.

This is the beginning of the fern glade hat, by Megan Marshall, in last winter's Knitty. The loose, slouchy hats seem all the rage, and I can see the genius in a hat that doesn't squash the hair or leave ribbing marks on the forhead.

This yarn is fuzzy and may not show the fern lace too well, but we can decide that after blocking. And those of you worried that there isn't enough knitting in a hat to last a week, fear not! There's a third project too. But more on that next time...it's time to hit the books!

7 comments:

orata said...

Congratulations! What's on your reading list now?

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

You just have to read The Shack! Its an awsome book. love your knitting as always!!! Marion

Thea said...

You're in a burgundy phase. Must match the leaves! Congrats on being all done and hope you had an amazing weekend in NY!

Are you going to Rhinebeck? Downstate NY, Upstate NY....

Team Knit ! said...

congrats on finishing your exams!! that beaded piece looks gorgeous...

- Julie

tina said...

I know you are SO glad to get the exam behind you and vacay is a lovely way to celebrate. ENJOY every second.

I agree slouchy hats are fab, I really want to knit one and so far have only had a couple false starts.

Rachel said...

Enjoy your break!

Siddali said...

We talked about you all evening. I'm so glad you're able to relax and have a lovely time in upstate NY. That is one of my favorite places on earth. Please take some pics of the turning leaves!