Sunday, October 18, 2009

FO: Feather Duster

The shawl-blocking took a lot longer than planned, thanks to a frantically busy work week, but here it is!

The pattern is Feather Duster, by Susan Lawrence. It's a very easy lace pattern, with patterning only every 4th row, sort of a feather-and-fan derivative. The only changes I made were doing 7 repeats instead of 6, because I had lots of yarn leftover, and going down one needle size because the yarn wasn't as fuzzy as the one in the pattern. Ooh, the thrill of living on the edge!

I used super-yummy Plucky Knitter 100% cashmere laceweight yarn that I got on Bainbridge Island. The subtle color changes worked out really well with the lace.

Unfortunately, I had tried to ball this yarn into a center-pull ball by hand, and then gave up halfway through and balled it normally. But somehow this ended up causing a horrible tangle near the end, so I just gave up and cast off, instead of doing the 8th lace repeat. When I got home and weighed the yarn, there were only 5 grams left. This probably would not have been enough for another repeat anyway, so I'll consider the knot a stroke of good luck.

The shawl is more of a shawlette, which seems rather popular these days, and definitely more versatile. It'll work as a scarf too, especially with the V in front, for coats with V-necks. I'm painting the walls today and didn't really want to model it with my painting outfit (and paint drips), so the fence will have to do.

8 comments:

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

Well the fence to me just dosent do that shawl justice. Its a thing of beauty as you are. So some time when you actally have the time I would love to see it on you! Blocked it wonderous! wishing I could take the work off your hands I can't find a job hubby is pissed off all the time and in pain. And I just keep falling deeper into drepression. anyway thanks

Rose Red said...

It looks great - such a simple pattern but so effective.

emicat said...

Awesome, awesome! Love that color and the more I see this Plucky Knitter yarn, the more I want it :)
Might have to make me a little ferry visit to Bainbridge and see if they still stock her cashmere yarn!

Allyson said...

How beautiful! I love the subtle color changes in the yarn, it looks so great with the lace pattern. And it looks like the perfect size for that fence :)

Team Knit ! said...

Absolutely stunning!! Wow, it's just beautiful.

- Julie

mooncalf said...

I must look at that pattern. It looks fiendishly complex in a lace-on-both-sides kind of way. But you say it isn't. That sounds like the pattern for me!

tina said...

Love it, can't wait to pet it up close and personal! :)

Rachel said...

Oh wow, that's really lovely!