Sunday, November 15, 2009

FO: Market cardigan

This one was a long time in coming. It took a big push to do the seaming and steam-blocking, but it's finally done! My Double graciously modeled it--it's hard to keep the shawl collar looking so pristine, whilst trying to use the self-timer and such.


The pattern is Farmer's Market Cardigan by Connie Chang Chinchio, from the Fall 2009 issue of Interweave Knits. This is the first "big" pattern I've made from IK, and at least I feel my subscription has been justified. I've never made a tunic-length garment before, and it'll be the last. As much as I love the pockets (!), and the ribbed edge along them that turns to become the shawl collar (!!), this length is terrible for people my height. Too bad the whole tunic look is so popular these days (see every other pattern in that issue).

The yarn called for in the pattern in Lorna's Laces worsted, but since that wasn't available at the LYS, I got Cascade 220 Tweed. In the end, it was the yarn that slowed me down, not the ribbing and seaming. IMHO I did a pretty bang-up job with the ribbing and seaming, for once. But the yarn, and the fabric it made...I heart tweed fabric and thus think all tweed yarns will turn out just as loveable. Not so! Some tweed yarns unfortunately knit up to what looks like regular yarn, with confetti clown barf sprayed on top. The same thing happened with my purple tweed socks. Next time, must remember, only one color of nubbly bits allowed!


The only changes I made to the pattern were making the sleeves in the round rather than flat, and 4 st wider at the top. I also sewed in a coat-sized hook-and-eye at the waist, because there's nothing in the pattern about any fasteners, and closure is a good thing.

11 comments:

betty said...

This looks great! This pattern has been in my queue, and I've been waiting to see how other finished ones are turning out. My favorite feature is that pocket edging that becomes the collar.

thea said...

This looks amazing -- the tweed bits might bug you, but I like the little pops of color for contrast -- hope you get lots of wear out of it! And the closure was a good idea, makes it nice and shapely.

e said...

i love it!
looks incredible!!

Rachel said...

Beautiful! I can't believe how quickly you got that done, too!

I completely agree with you on the tweed thing. WHY oh WHY do designers think tweed must have garish colors mixed in? WHY!!? (Although, I have to admit I've been coveting some of Knitpicks City Tweeds; they have such a beautiful tweedy-ness without all the tacky Vegas colorings . . . must. resist.!)

Team Knit ! said...

Utterly gorgeous!! I love how yours turned out, it's stunning. Great job!!

- Julie

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really beautiful. I bet it's much more flattering than you think. Please bring it to knit night so we can all oooh and aahh!

tina said...

Great job, i love it! Can't wait to oogle it in person!

emicat said...

wow, beautiful! I've yet to feel like I've justified my IK, as I've yet to tackle a "biggie" yet myself :)

The more I see the tweedy yarns in a FO, the more I like 'em!

donnac1968 said...

Great job!

Cassiemarie said...

So Lovely!
I hope you wear this with boots, it seems totally fitting! :)
--Cassie

Marie Adeline said...

a lovely tunic-lenght cardigan, the colour is fantastic, and gracious is the cowl
very beautiful