Monday, December 21, 2009

FO: Tillie Cloche

Say hello to Tillie! Man oh man cloches are the best hats. The yarn (malabrigo worsted) is from mooncalf, and the pattern is Matilda + Tillie, by MK Carroll. My gauge seems to be a bit off or something. Somehow the hat smacks of fisherman, but it's cloche-y enough. The brim is knitted diagonally, and the color variegation in the yarn worked out really well for that.


This cloche started out fast, until the part where the main hat and the brim had to be joined. There are several suggestions in the pattern, none of which are quite satisfying. I ended up leaving the stitches from the main part "live," picking up the same number of stitches from the brim, knitting a row, and the grafting the two sets of stitches together. (That's right, I kitchenered 122 stitches, not like I was counting, in the round.)

The hat is a touch loose--I didn't want it to squash my hair as cloches usually do. I used the usual method of balled-up towels as the blocking form, but with a shallow mixing bowl underneath (upside-down) to create the brim's angle. That way I can be mysterious, but still see a little bit.



Now, for trimming the hat. I am sorely tempted to make one of these ysolda hoots as a decoration.

7 comments:

Rose Red said...

It looks so fabulous on you! What a great use for a lovely skein of Malabrigo!

VeganCraftastic said...

Super cute, looks awesome on you!

tina said...

Absolutely love it! You look very mysterious and tres chic to boot!

Thea said...

this is lovely! The malabrigo is perfect and I love the diagonal border. Can't believe you kitchenered all those stitches, but it was worth it. As for a decoration, you know I'd say Big Funky Button!

soknitpicky said...

Oh, I just love it! You have mad grafting skillz! :-P

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

you are so awsome! I love the hat and the beautiful model too!!! :) God Bless you! Have a wonderful Holiday! Marion

mooncalf said...

Wow - what a wonderful use of the yarn! That is a fantastic hat - I love it!

I'm so glad you won it :D