Say hello to Tillie! Man oh man cloches are the best hats. The yarn (malabrigo worsted) is from mooncalf, and the pattern is Matilda + Tillie, by MK Carroll. My gauge seems to be a bit off or something. Somehow the hat smacks of fisherman, but it's cloche-y enough. The brim is knitted diagonally, and the color variegation in the yarn worked out really well for that.
This cloche started out fast, until the part where the main hat and the brim had to be joined. There are several suggestions in the pattern, none of which are quite satisfying. I ended up leaving the stitches from the main part "live," picking up the same number of stitches from the brim, knitting a row, and the grafting the two sets of stitches together. (That's right, I kitchenered 122 stitches, not like I was counting, in the round.)
The hat is a touch loose--I didn't want it to squash my hair as cloches usually do. I used the usual method of balled-up towels as the blocking form, but with a shallow mixing bowl underneath (upside-down) to create the brim's angle. That way I can be mysterious, but still see a little bit.
Now, for trimming the hat. I am sorely tempted to make one of these ysolda hoots as a decoration.