Saturday, January 9, 2010

FO: Sea-tron; and gift exchange


The first FO of the year! Actually that's a white lie because it was the last FO of 2009, but since it was blocked and gifted in 2010, it counts for this year.

This is the very-popular and also free (eee!) Citron, by Hilary Smith Callis, in the most recent Knitty. It's a cute little shawlette for anti-lace knitters (or lace-knitters on break), and the perfect project for a single skein of yarn. The half-rounds (or -rinds, har!) of ruching are made by doubling the stitches on those rows, as is the ruffled edge. This is a great mindless mindless stockinette knit that makes one feel more brilliant and talented in the end than the project actually required.


In case you are so lucky to live on the west coast, you should know that the rest of the US (and probably Canada too, but Canadians don't seem to complain about bad weather) has been suffering through a blight of coldness and snow so severe as to squeeze the last drop of cheer out of our hearts. Today, at last, there was some sunshine. Sweet, sweet, sunshine! So I took a picture of the blue sky, and tried to match up the shawl with the half-moon windows.


I call it Sea-tron, like how a French person would say it, because the color is just dark enough that it's not very citrus-y, and more oceanic. It was my contribution to the knit-group's hand-made gift exchange today, which started out with a dozen people a couple months ago, but was down to three of us in the end. The color is perfect for Silvana, who shall remain faceless here, but believe me when I say it suits her wonderfully.


She crocheted pretty towels, too darling to actually use for toweling purposes...here's a preview, but you'll see the rest on Tina's blog soon.

Tina gave me a gift certificate to Knitorious--whee! I'm hankering to knit some skinny-yarn cardi-shell combos, so a big shopping trip will be in the near future. Hooray for hand-knit (or hand-delivered) goodies!

4 comments:

emicat said...

I love your Sea-tron! I saw that in Knitty and hope to knit that too. Your oceanic colorway is awesome. So many things to knit, so little time!

I certainly feel for everyone who is freezing arse cold right now. I'm enjoying the milder weather for sure. Thank goodness for handknits to keep you warm.

Julie said...

utterly gorgeous!! I'm knitting this pattern right now as well, and it's so addictive. I can understand why it's so popular. The colour you chose is amazing, what a fantastic gift!

Rachel said...

Ooo, that shawl is lovely!

Sereknitty said...

Beautiful! I've got that one in my line-up with some Malabrigo Lace in 'Pagoda' to go with it. Ingenious pattern and so pretty!