Saturday, February 20, 2010

FO: Aphrodite

At long last, Aphrodite is done, and the weather cooperated for some photographic evidence! It's in the mid-50's today, which is balmy and practially tropical after weeks of snowstorms and clouds. So of course, it's totally appropriate to go out sleeveless with a summer-weight shawl.

This pattern, by Sivia Harding, was on the cover of the summer 2009 issue of Twist, and I salivated for months over the three-panel design and the beading. Oooh, beading! Clear and excellent directions for beading were included in the pattern, and alone are worth the cost of the pattern. The long beading rows near the end got pretty tedious, so it's too bad the silvery beads don't stand out against the same-color yarn. Phooey--lesson learned for next time!

I used just over a skein of Knitpicks Shimmer in Cumulus, which I also used for Mermaid. It's a dreamy-soft combo of alpaca and silk, blocks out beautifully, and is an all-round great shawl yarn. I used US 3 needles as directed in the pattern, actually 2 pairs of them, since the first pair was vandalized by airport security. Despite heavy-duty blocking, and doing an extra repeat of the main lace, the shawl still turned out a bit small. It is 10.5 inches down the back, 12 inches along the diagonals, and 14" along the front. The size works out fine since I'm a bit small too, but the taller knitters out there should be aware.

The only other change I made was leaving out a couple rows of the diagonal seam lace chart (rows 27-28) the second and third time through, to match the numbers more easily with the main panel lace. Otherwise, this pattern was very well written and just plain satisfying to knit up. Overall, a big LOVE and squee for this Aphrodite!!

12 comments:

Allyson said...

What a beautiful shawl! The detail is beautiful, and the yarn is perfect. Well done!

Thea said...

holy shit. Beee you ti ful! I am so in awe of you lace people. Beyond my scope of capabilities. I bet the beads will show up when light hits 'em!

Hope you wear it lots as the weather warms up....

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

Lace boggles my brain! You are truly awsome! The shawl is breathtaking especally on you!! Wow I am so impressed! Hugs Marion

Sereknitty said...

Gorgeous! The perfect shawl for you. Nice to see you supporting a designer from my home town!

emicat said...

Wow, that is truly gorgeous!!! I just took a lace class at Madrona and hope to tackle a project soon before I loose my nerves again :)

soknitpicky said...

Oh, it's just perfect! I have yet to do beading--I bet it adds a lovely extra touch

VeganCraftastic said...

Looks beautiful! I really need to try beads in a project.

tina said...

It really is beautiful, very YOU, if such a thing can be said. I can't imagine beading after my major spillage debacle....... I can't get back on the horse and so merely lust from afar.

Anna said...

Beautiful! I have yarn picked out for Aphrodite but was thinking of using to make Citron instead...decisions, decisions. I'm surprised that it turned out small, it looks much bigger in the pictures from Twist. If I may need it, I'll need your help on the beading!

Julie said...

wow, it's absolutely stunning!! so gorgeous, and the photos are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

But the beads really do pop! Even in the dimly-lit cafe, they added sparkle and elegance to this beautiful shawl.

Silvana

Rachel said...

That's gorgeous on you!