Wednesday, March 31, 2010

FO: ballband too-nice-to-be-a-washcloth

Oh yeah, that's right, 3 FO posts in a row! Booyakasha!

No one, absolutely no one, except the 4 zillion people who have knitted it before, have seen a ballband wash/dishcloth before. I'm not a dishcloth cotton yarn buyer in general, but there were some leftovers from secret project #1 that had to be knitted up. So I thought I'd try out this "ballband" thing that all the young kids/rap songs are talking about. I even went super old school and used single pointed needles.

Now I know why people knit dishcloths. They're basically big swatches that take like an hour to make. Also, if you make it in wool, you can call it a potholder. Or, if you make it in wool and accidentally put it in the dryer, you can pretend it's a coaster. Or, you can quit halfway, staple on some elastic, and say it's a headband. Or, you can quit halfway, sew the ends together, and saw it's a wristband. Anyway, the ballband washcloth, popularized by Mason-Dixon Knitting, is just a cute Pong-like iteration of a nice lil scrubby cloth. I made a washcloth to match secret project #1, and it is so nice and orderly that I can't believe anyone scrubs dirty dishes with these things. DH thinks it's too nice to scrub human bodies too, but I hope that the knitter gets some scrubbing rights!

I used Plymouth Yarn Fantasy Naturale Solid, which is the only dishcloth-y yarn at my LYS. I figure it's a bit thicker than sugar-n-cream or similar, because this cloth turned out HUGE, 10" square. I cast on the prescribed 45 stitches and knit 6 repeats, crocheted the edges, and then made a crocheted loop. Perhaps it really is too nice, and too big, and I may decide that it is actually a cat blanket for sweet cammy.

6 comments:

Rose Red said...

I really like your idea to crochet around the edge - I'll definitely be doing that next time I make a dishcloth!

soknitpicky said...

Nice! The crocheted loop is a great touch

Thea said...

i LOVE these things! Made a few a couple of years back. But your crocheted details are way better than mine. :-)

Julie said...

Love that dishcloth! It's classic for a reason.

Mommab@sbcglobal.net said...

I love it too. every time I make mine someone puts them in the dryer and they shrink like madd. :( I think that one would look lovley in a kitchen as just decor:) Marion

mooncalf said...

Now I'm trying to think of that game that was a bit like pong but you had a wall of blocks and you had to remove them by hitting them with a ball. Was it called Break Through or something??

I played Pong just a few weeks ago at a retro gaming exhibition in Bradford. My mum totally beat me - hands down.