Sunday, April 11, 2010

Toronto, part yarn

Oh Canada! I arrived yesterday, and so far, I'm loving it! It's a true big city, where the inhabitants mostly came from elsewhere, the buildings are tall, the sidewalks are bustle-y, there are too many nearby eateries to choose from, and regular people take public transportation. It's resonating with my city-mouse self, and makes me wonder whether I'd be more cheerful and productive in a "real" city like this. Anyway, about the yarn...

Julie (of Knitted Bliss), who is just as sweet and pretty as online, volunteered to show me around! Her friend Erica (of Erica Knits), also joined us. I have always maintained that all Canadians are nice, and these two proved my point further. We went to Romni, which was so huge and overwhelming I forgot to take any pictures of the cavernous boulders of fiber that are packed in it; I came back later for the outside shot.

Holy mole! The selection is incredible, even not including the ginorm basement filled with sale yarns and big cones of yarn. I've been hankering to get some milk yarn, just because it sounds so cool, although I imagined it would feel slippery/squeaky like string cheese. But then I touched the real thing, and had to get it, because it's ridiculously soft! The one I ended up getting is Latte, from Ella rae. It has a pretty sheen to it and seems like it'd be perfect for another iteration of Side Slip Cloche.

The other yarn is yet another laceweight, Super Alpaca Lace paints from Estelle. It has just the right amount of variegation, with subtle hints of dark blue and fuschia. I got enough for one of the shawls in the recent Knitty, but haven't decided which one, as that decision requires a long and drawn-out session of hemming, hawing, and vacillating.

Speaking of shawls, I showed remarkable restraint and brought just one WIP for this trip. Deep (orange) forest is picking up speed. The other knitting group ladies and I had joked how we should write a shawl pattern that starts from the outside and grows inward, and thereby weed out the dilettantes with just the first instruction line: cast on 800 stitches. Heh. Then I found this pattern, which does start from the edge and grow inwards! Thankfully only 300-400 stitches are cast-on, although that first row (in lace pattern) was kinda painful. The rows are noticeably shorter now, and it'll only get better!

It just now occurred to me how much this looks like a toilet seat. And how someone in the world somewhere probably has  knitted a lace toilet seat cover. Uh oh, let's hope I'm not headed down that slippery slope that leads to crocheted TP covers that look like barbie toilets.

6 comments:

Julie said...

aww, thank you!! It's awesome to have you here in TO. We've got lots more yarn stores to check out, too!

mooncalf said...

I too have never met a canadian who wasn't lovely. I'd always half-suspected that they only let the nice ones leave but it is good to know they're all great. I suspect all that yarn is having a postive effect on the whole nation!

emicat said...

I've been curious on that milk yarn myself - looks lovely and soft!

Erm, my mom has knit toilet seat covers actually, although they're not lace :) But hey, if you've been in a bathroom in a typical Japanese home in the dead of winter, you'd know why!

Huan-Hua said...

oh it looks like so much fun!

soknitpicky said...

Oooh! So jealous on so many levels. It's been nearly 10 years since I've been to Toronto, and I was not a knitter then. I do remember going to the best Chinese restaurant (and I've been to oodles) but I cannot remember the name!

tina said...

Have oodles of fun, can't wait to see more pics and hear about your Canadian adventure!! Love the shawl it is really speeding up.

Knitted toilet seat??? Har.