Tuesday, June 29, 2010

FO: blue milk flapper hat


Good things come in twos, in knitting anyway. I've made this hat before in a different yarn, and loved it so much I made it again, during completely inappropriate weather. Indeed, it is too hot to model this hat myself, so Bone Flap Man was forced to volunteer. He is called Bone Flap Man because he has a big bone flap.

It has always struck me as very odd that people who have had craniectomies (had a piece of skull cut out) are said to "have a bone flap," when in fact they are missing said bone flap. I suppose they do have a bone flap, in a freezer or sometime in their abdomens (seriously), whereas the rest of us don't have a bone flap at all--just bone, no flap. Anyway, semantics aside, BFM was happy to model a hat, since he is usually a brain model for his day job. In fact, I used to call him Mr. brain model, but he found that demeaning, because he is so much more. Like a hat model, and sometimes a book-end.

He is always serene, even wearing this roarin' flapper hat! The hat is made out of Ella Rae Latte, a blend of milk (!), alpaca, and microfiber. Two balls (164 yards of a bulky yarn), less a few feet, were used up. I love the slight sheen of this yarn, and the fact that it is made out of milk (!!). Unfortunately, however, it was very, very splitty, and tiny microfiber (or maybe milk) fibers broke off into my "throwing finger" and made little bumps under the skin. So I'd recommend this yarn for a small project only, like an awesome flapper hat! This is going in the drawer of "things ostensibly made as early holiday gifts, but which actually will keep for self"....
The pattern is Side Slip Cloche, from the book Boutique Knits, by Laura Irwin. I've made 3 patterns from this book (and one of them twice now), and all are fabulous.

5 comments:

Thea said...

I've always loved this pattern myself! A friend of mine sports hers all the time and I so want to copy. Yours is gorgeous - your knitting friends will do the same!

bone flap man is hilarious.

VeganCraftastic said...

Ha, great model! I love the hat too :)

orata said...

bone flap man looks so peaceful with his brain all warm and sheltered! Very fashionable :)

Allyson said...

Oh love it! I've got that book, too, and have knit hoodie devoted and half of the diamond shell. This one is on my list! It's beautiful in blue!

Julie said...

gorgeous hat!! And I love the 'model'- he looks very feminine in is cloche!