Thursday, June 10, 2010

San Antonio

Whew, sorry for the unintended blog hiatus. It's been a whirlwind couple weeks. A birthday went by, old friends came to visit, much work was done, and I visited San Antonio for another conference. What an odd city! It seems like a giant tourist/conventioneer attraction, and it's depressing to me that all the "normal" people must live in sprawl/burbs. There were no nearby yarn shops, which is probably fortunate because it was hotter and humider than anything. The funniest thing was this sign, which I saw several times at a market. For a while I thought the vendors were worried that photo-quality would be ruined by the shadow from the hat brim over the camera.

So I made sure I did not have a hat on before taking any pictures. Ha! Someone had to explain it to me. Otherwise, I saw the outside of the Alamo, spent too much time inside  a convention center, and ate tex-mex food of variable quality. At least the hotel where I stayed is a converted old bank and has gorgeous architectural details, in addition to serving free snacks and cocktails!

Meanwhile, I've been slogging away at the peacock shawl, but now it's at a point where the progress isn't very visible. If you squint your eyes, you may be able to see the "eye" of the peacock pattern forming.


Cammy approves, and also enjoys sitting on any clothing left on the bed. It's good to be home!

5 comments:

orata said...

the shawl is looking purty! Happy birthday (is that how I should interpret "a birthday went by" or was it someone else's?)... that hotel looks fabulous, too bad San Antonio wasn't more fun otherwise.

Siga said...

The shawl looks nice. Can't wait to see it done.

Siga said...

By the way, try wwwDOTknitmapDOTcom. I find two LYS in San Antonio. It's a great site.

Thea said...

sounds like a cool hotel - and a strange city experience! Have a good time settling back in at home....

Cindy said...

That is a gorgeous window and I read the sign the same way;-P Your peacock shawl is lovely!!!!