Sunday, July 18, 2010

FO: Cucumber Annis

It thundered and stormed all morning, then suddenly it's bright blue like nothing happened. So Cucumber Annis had some pictures taken.

The pattern is Annis, by Susanna IC.  Ravelry pointed out that she also designed the Swirling Gauntlets from almost 2 years ago! I'm officially a fan. This shawl has a clever design--the center stockinette portion is done with short rows to create the crescent shape. (The shape in the picture is how it is even on a flat surface.) The short rows are done with ssk and p2tog, but I'd recommend changing these to wrapped stitches, because there's a big ugly stretched stitch at the end of each short row. Otherwise, this is a great pattern, and the only change I made was using two needles (a double-pointed needle held next to the circular) to cast on the stitches, rather than a larger size needle.

I'm calling this one Cucumber because of the color, and also because cucumbers are my favorite food. Don't the nupps look like cucumber seeds? The colorway is actually Eucalyptus, in Knitpicks Shimmer. I'm tempted to get lots more of this yarn!

4 comments:

Julie said...

It's gorgeous!! I love this shawl, the cucumber colour description is so accurate! it looks so perfect for summer.

mooncalf said...

What a lovely long shape it has. I just knit a triangular shawl and am kicking myself for forgetting that i like long, narrow shawls much more...

soknitpicky said...

Just awesome! And I agree it's a neat idea for the pattern to use short rows.

Rachel said...

Very lovely!