Monday, November 15, 2010

Jiggling and joggling the fair isle

That's exactly what it sounds like. The night cityscape cardi knitted up very quickly, and I even did all the blasted ribbing for the neckbands and buttohbands without complaining. Sadly, the cardi is not ready yet!
cityscape1

The two colors ended up being much closer to each other than I had anticipated, and since both are slightly variegated, it gets even harder to see the cityscape pattern. But the real reason it looks kinda crummy is that I am not good at fair isle. And since I knit this pattern flat (instead of the round) because of a non-steekable yarn, the purl rows in fair isle are particularly, well, wonky. I wove in the floats while knitting, but I guess I held the "floating" yarn too loosely, so many of the stitches are loose and malformed. Thankfully, there's a knitting trick/cheat for almost everything. In this case, it's manually jiggling and joggling the stitches and pulling the excess yarn to the wrong side. It is messy and tedious, and the wrong side of the fabric looks godawful. (The left half has had the jiggling done, the right half is about to).
cityscape2

Still, the post-jiggle-and-joggle pattern is just delightful! I can't wait to show you the end result! Does anyone have any good online buttoh store suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see it!

Actually, believe it or not, JoAnn has an excellent selection of buttons.

Knitorious is another great source for buttons locally.

For an online source, you could try ascuteasabutton.com. I love browsing their shop, but I've never bought anything from them, so I don't know whether I can recommend them.

Silvana

Julie said...

Hmmm. I can see what you mean about the colours being a bit similar, but I bet once it's finished and blocked it'll look great. And a subtle city skyline is still an awesome thing!!

I tend to get my buttons on etsy, there are so many options. I just do a search.

Gidgetknits said...

Looking forward to seeing the final cardigan - I love the colours you chose and the night time effect... I'm looking forward to how it comes out!

emicat said...

I love the nighttime cityscape colors you chose - I can't believe how quick you knit that! Look forward to the end photo.